2018 Events – Wenatchee Area

Home Forums General Activity Planning 2018 Events – Wenatchee Area

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Kravik 6 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Soliciting ideas for events in 2018. I’ll be keeping an eye on the weather & snow conditions. Sometimes it’s just not smart to go. I have to admit that last winter I got stuck too many times in that doggone white stuff. I’d prefer to not repeat that…

Jan – 2018 “planning meeting” which might involve some adult beverages?

Feb – Snowshoe hiking or cross-country skiing? Any interest?

Mar – Perhaps a return to Douglas Creek, or some other lowland destination?

April – I’m not avail in April, perhaps someone else will organize an event for April?

May – I was asked about a trip into the Colockum & Quilomene areas. Depending on snow drifts, this might work in May.

June – Northwest Overland Rally, June 28 – July 1st. Link: http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

July – JR’s tour of the lookout towers? Maybe July 13, 14 & 15?

Aug –

Sept –

Oct – I have very limited availability in October. 🙂  Perhaps someone else could organize an event?

Nov –

Dec – Swakane Canyon Christmas/Winter run

So – if you’ve got ideas you’d like to see for the Wenatchee Area NWOL – post ’em up here and we can discuss easily. 🙂

Thanks for the great year in 2017, we’ve had some adventures!

Regards, Guy

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

We’ll see what the winter brings, that’ll drive a lot of the choices for the next few months, possibly into June and beyond.

Thinking I could put a 1-2 day trip together hitting some of the Lookouts, Sugarloaf, Tyee Mountain, and Steliko.  Sugarloaf, most are familiar with, neat place.  Tyee is a little more challenging road, but not bad, great views.  Haven’t been to Steliko yet, it’s just above Ardenvoir off of NF-5310, so all easily touched in a weekend.

Depending on snow pack, it probably wouldn’t happen till mid-to late June.  Hopefully we don’t have an early fire season.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

JR – it often seems like only a matter of two or three weeks between when the snow recedes enough for travel, and the summer fires begin. 🙁

Your “lookout trip” would be great! 🙂  Limited room up at the Tyee lookout for vehicles. I’m not sure how many we could park up there at once.

Guy

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yeah, lets’ hope for a good winter snow pack, a warm dry spring to melt it early, then a cool wet summer to keep the fires at bay.

Figure there’s a couple of places we could camp along the way up to Tyee, then shuttle up to the top.  It’s tight up there but a few normal sized vehicles should be able to get turned around.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

And, while it may not be “overlanding” (well, maybe you could call it that…) in early January…

http://www.conconully.com/outhouse-races

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

I want to build an outhouse now…

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

I have an old pair of skis I’d donate to the cause.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

We’ll see what the winter brings, that’ll drive a lot of the choices for the next few months, possibly into June and beyond. Thinking I could put a 1-2 day trip together hitting some of the Lookouts, Sugarloaf, Tyee Mountain, and Steliko. Sugarloaf, most are familiar with, neat place. Tyee is a little more challenging road, but not bad, great views. Haven’t been to Steliko yet, it’s just above Ardenvoir off of NF-5310, so all easily touched in a weekend. Depending on snow pack, it probably wouldn’t happen till mid-to late June. Hopefully we don’t have an early fire season.

JR – what do you think about your Tour of the Lookout Towers, July 13/14/15 timeframe?

Avoids the June conflict with the NW Overland Rally and pre-rally route-recon trips.

Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Some places I haven’t been in a while, that aren’t far from the Wenatchee area:

WABDR south of Ellensburg – always have liked the Manastash Ridge/Cleman Mountain/Bethel Ridge area

Government Meadows/Naches – I don’t think I’ve been in that area in 15+ years!

Gallaher/Gallhagher Head Lake near Cle Elum – it’s been a couple of years, not since 2015

Guy

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

JR – what do you think about your Tour of the Lookout Towers, July 13/14/15 timeframe? Avoids the June conflict with the NW Overland Rally and pre-rally route-recon trips. Guy

That looks like a good time frame.  I’ll set up an event when we get closer

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Never done that WABDR section north to south. Could be interesting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.