Alta Lake & Slate Peak Trip Report

Home Forums Travel Trip Reports Alta Lake & Slate Peak Trip Report

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Clark the Wonder Dog and I took some friends on a two night camping trip this weekend. Much fun! The weather certainly changed late on Saturday. Temps fell. The wind increased and it started snowing! We woke Sunday to a light layer of snow. Wonderful trip!

Hart’s Pass Road:

Walking up to Slate Peak, site of a cold war radar station:

Woke this morning to a bit of snow:

Great trip with some real nice folks. I enjoyed! I know there are a LOT more photos of this trip out there, from the other folks along. Hope to see those photos here.

Guy

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yes, wonderful trip, thank you Guy for coordinating.  While I’m normally horrible about pictures, I remembered to bring my camera this time and got a few shots myself.

I’ve got a few more, I’ll try to find a semi-private place for them and send the link.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Cool! Great photos. Thanks Ed!

Jason VanderSluis
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks Guy, fun trip!  Good to meet all of you and look forward to more trips.

Mark Mischke
    Participant
    Basic Member

Looks like a great trip…I wish I could’ve made it!!

LGRT
    Participant
    Basic Member

Not familiar with Alta Lake and Slate Peak…  where is this area roughly because is looks really nice.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Not familiar with Alta Lake and Slate Peak… where is this area roughly because is looks really nice.

Think “North Central Washington” for a general idea.

Alta Lake is a state park, near Pateros, Washington. Pateros is in Okanogan County, along the Columbia River.

Highway 20 parallels the Methow River, through the Methow Valley. Near the head of the valley, the west end, is the tiny village of Mazama.

Hart’s Pass & Slate Peak are northwest of Mazama. The Hart’s Pass road is in amazingly good condition, though it has no guardrails. I believe it’s the highest one can drive on a road, in Washington.

Regards, Guy

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Not familiar with Alta Lake and Slate Peak… where is this area roughly because is looks really nice.

WHAT?!?!?!! A place that Paul has not heard of? IMPOSSIBLE!!! 🙂

Dan

LGRT
    Participant
    Basic Member

Think “North Central Washington” for a general idea. Alta Lake is a state park, near Pateros, Washington. Pateros is in Okanogan County, along the Columbia River. Highway 20 parallels the Methow River, through the Methow Valley. Near the head of the valley, the west end, is the tiny village of Mazama. Hart’s Pass & Slate Peak are northwest of Mazama. The Hart’s Pass road is in amazingly good condition, though it has no guardrails. I believe it’s the highest one can drive on a road, in Washington. Regards, Guy

Thanks…  i’ll definitely want to check it out…  looks very inviting.

WHAT?!?!?!! A place that Paul has not heard of? IMPOSSIBLE!!! 🙂 Dan

I only know about places because I check here first for all the good info 🙂

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

HAHA! Fair 🙂

Burt Strathy
    Participant
    Basic Member

+Great pictures Guy and Ed. You guys captured the essence of the trip, from the beauty and nice warm temperatures at Alta Lake to the ice cold reality at Hart Pass and Slate Peak. This a good reminder that you need to be prepared for anything when traveling into the mountains. I used to be a member of a Search & Rescue group and we recovered more bodies than I want to remember. Three things led to their deaths, not being prepared, not enough experience for what they were doing, and not knowing their limitations. Fortunately, on this trip everyone was prepared, were experienced, and knew their limitations (retreating to their tents early rather than chatting around the propane campfire until they were to cold to move). Good job everyone, common sense is still alive and well.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Burt – thanks about the photos, and more thanks about your input re survival & being prepared.

We all knew that cold temps and snow were likely at that high campground, but we chose to stay up on the mountain for the night, and it was both terrific, and cold! The wind was what really made it mandatory to tuck back into our individual tents pretty early in the evening.

Good tents. Good clothing. Good sleeping bags & blankets. Plenty of food. Everyone was pretty well prepared for the cold, and that was a good thing.

I also noted that the vehicles were all in good shape. Good tires for everyone, tow points front & rear. Several winches were present. At least one set of Max Trax was available, thanks Ed, those are great tools! I was really impressed with the thoughtful preparation by all for this late-season trip into the high country.

Regards, Guy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.