ArkPak or other options?

Home Forums Vehicles Tech ArkPak or other options?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Kravik 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

Looking for some advice on what I should do?  I got a Dometic Fridge/freezer that I have been really enjoying, but most of out trips this summer we have been using the Jeep during the day so the fridge stays nice and cold and recharges the jeep battery during the day.  Got a few trips coming up where we won’t be driving as much and my trailer will finally be finished, so looking at how I want to power the fridge at camp.  I already have a 50 watt solar panel and charge controller.  My question is whether or not buying a ArkPak or something similar is worth it, or making my own setup would be better? The ArkPak seems expensive but after buying all the parts for my own setup I am wondering if it is worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

After seeing Scott’s Renogy setup at the rally, I went ahead and purchased a 100w panel and controller which I think will more than suffice for my needs.  If you really think you may need more than a couple days w/out starting your vehicle, maybe consider changing to a dual-purpose battery.  I swapped out my stock battery for a X2 Power via BatteriesPlus, 10% ordering online and pick up in store.  While upgrading in size was an option I’ve opted for the same group size as stock, and will be testing this all out on my solar eclipse trip this month when I plan to run the solar panel with my fridge.

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

I like the dual battery option, but I drive a two door, and want the option to take it out of the jeep once at camp and leave it there to be able to use the rear seat.  If I had a four door, or LJ I think I would go that option without question.  So my goal is to be able to take the fridge out and leave it at camp, in the tent annex or shade.

I like the idea of a single seat in the rear and the fridge mounted permanently with dual battery setup and battery isolator, but unfortunately no one makes a single seat option for a JK and it would have to be a custom mount setup that would be high $$$ to make safe.

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

sorry – not dual battery.  Just a dual-purpose single battery.  The X2Power can handle starting and function as a deep-cycle, allowing you to power things like a fridge for longer than a stock battery w/ less frequent charging.  If you couple that w/ a solar panel to keep things topped off you’ll likely be fine as long as it’s only a fridge and maybe charging a couple of devices like iPad or phones.

FWIW, this is something I’m actively doing, but my first real test is upcoming.  However after checking out a few similar setups at the Rally this year, I think it’s going to work well, especially in the summer when days are long.  The real test will be this winter.

Leaving it at camp is not something I factored in – you are much more trustworthy than I.  That might work great at the rally or BFE but anywhere near other people and personally I’d never be comfortable doing it.

Aaron Kravik

You could build a system for much less than an Ark Pak or similar costs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.