Bear Spray

Home Forums General General Bear Spray

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Wes Loveng 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

I am looking for the best, and biggest cannisters of bear spray available. Can anyone help me out here? I’m planning on spending a lot of time up in grizzly country this year.

Also, I know that one always gets asked if they are carrying bear spray in their vehicle when trying to cross into Canada. Will the U.S. and Canadian border patrol folks allow you to purchase your bear spray in Canada and then be free to bring back and forth across the border?

Dale

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

Dale,

I purchased (but have not used yet) Frontiersman bear spray. I can say that their holster is nice, and I carried it all over Glacier and Yellowstone.

https://www.sabrered.com/bear-spray

I liked that they make their own, with plenty of certifications. And that they also make spray for law enforcement. And that it was tested at Elmendorf AFB (where my father was stationed). They also sell a “practice spray” canister, that is exactly like their bear spray, but filled with water. It gives you the chance to actually go through the steps of discharging a canister.

Have fun and be safe.

Craig

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks Craig,  I’ll check them out.

Dale

Gabe Engler
    Participant
    Premium Member

As long as it’s labeled bear spray, not “pepper spray” “defense spray” etc you will be fine at the border if they even care to look. It’s sold all over Canada too. I got one when I was up there, it’s just labeled bear spray.

Don’t remember the brand, but just your standard neoprene sleeve holster. Works fine for me.

Steve Marchiando
    Participant
    Basic Member

Dale I’ll look at what I have. It was the biggest one available when I got mine.

Jim Hopkins
    Participant
    Basic Member

Dale, I’ve found that a 12 gauge with OO buck makes a nice bear spray…

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Dale, crossing the border, either way, with bear spray just wasn’t a problem for me last spring when I drove to and from Alaska.

I also had a rifle and 40 rounds of ammo with me. The rifle required a bit of paperwork and a $25 fee, but wasn’t a problem.

Guy

Wes Loveng
    Participant
    Basic Member

If you are planning on temporarily exporting then re-importing a standard length shotgun or hunting rifle for personal use. Prior to departing the United States stop at the U.S. Port of Entry. Declare to the cutoms officer you are exporting a firearm and are requesting a form 4457. The form is good for use as long as you own the firearm and is for presentation to the US officers when returning. There is no cost. Just leave the firearm in the vehicle. When you get to the port they will direct you to retrieve it or they will go get it for inspection themself.

As far as bear spray. Have it labeled as such and declare it when questioned. No problem.

They are are starting an online electronic declaration requirement for firearms leaving the US but it has not started yet. Just if you read this post in a couple months head online and check. It should be active soon and I do not know yet what it will require.

This is for the United States and only for temporary, personal exportations.

Contact Canada Border Services Agency for Canadian requirements.

Hope this helps.

-Wes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.