Christmas & Solstice Run, Chelan County

Home Forums General Activity Planning Christmas & Solstice Run, Chelan County

This topic contains 50 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

If anyone missed it… Meeting time at the Shell Station is 0900…

I neglected to put that in my “events” post.

Guy

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Have you ordered the snow yet?  Seems to be on back order these days.

(also you list the HAM frequency wrong, it should be 146.46)

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Oh, I think there will be enough snow to make it interesting and beautiful. 🙂

Thank you for the correction on the radio frequency. I can always count on the Hamsters to make it right! 🙂

Guy

Brandon Schmitz
    Participant
    Basic Member

Anyone interested in spending the night of the 16th somewhere in the hills, then joining us at 0900 on Sunday morning, Dec 17th? I’d be up for an overnighter Saturday the 16th. Campfire. Cold. Early to the tents… Boogie out early Sunday morning to meet everyone else. Guy

We’d be hard pressed to make it before 7:00pm, but where are you eyeballing for camping? We will definitely be headed east on Saturday evening, just not sure yet how far we’ll get.

Dave Sisolak
    Participant
    Basic Member

If someone ends up bowing out please let me know. Looks like registration is full. New to me 100 series that I’d love to break in.

Work commitments are keeping me from being able to join. Should be one spot open now.

Looking forward to the photos and stories.

Nik Schulz
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ll be coming in from the San Juans that morning. ETA in Wenatchee will be around noon. Guy, could you let me know which forest roads you’ll be on so I can catch up with you?

I’ll have studded snow tires, chains, winch, lockers, pull pall, and some other gear. I’ll have a radio too, and will check in when I’m in range.

Looking forward to it!

Guy, is that your Montero in the first post? Mine’s a 1995.

Nik

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I’ll be coming in from the San Juans that morning. ETA in Wenatchee will be around noon. Guy, could you let me know which forest roads you’ll be on so I can catch up with you? I’ll have studded snow tires, chains, winch, lockers, pull pall, and some other gear. I’ll have a radio too, and will check in when I’m in range. Looking forward to it! Guy, is that your Montero in the first post? Mine’s a 1995. Nik

Hi Nik,

Guy drives a Jeep JK. The Montero is mine. Or rather “was” mine. I sold it earlier this year.

Nik Schulz
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi Dan,

Ah, right. You responded to my first post on NWOL with a photo of your Montero. Hope the new owner having fun with it.

Nik

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Nik, we’re going to be on Swakane Canyon Road. The east end of that road starts on Hwy 97A, a bit north of the Rocky Reach Dam.

If you’re going north from Wenatchee on 97A, go past the dam, then start looking for the sharp left onto Swakane Canyon Road. Be careful during the turn, the southbound traffic is coming around a blind turn at 60 mph not far from you.

Swakane Canyon Road becomes NF 7415. We will see how far we get! That really depends on the road conditions. It snowed a little here this morning, but I don’t anticipate much snow between now and our run on Dec 17th.

That’s good and bad. The bad part is that the road gets used a fair bit by us locals, and the surface is likely to be mashed down to compacted snow/ice. Your tire chains and studded tires should help.

I have to admit I’m a little uncomfortable with you tackling a road strange to you, three hours behind us, in winter conditions.

How far we proceed along the route will be determined by the conditions. We have good exit points at:

Nahahum Canyon/Cashmere

Derby Canyon/Peshastin

Eagle Creek/Leavenworth

So… Who knows? We have made the run all the way from Eagle Creek to Swakane, we’ve also had times when we couldn’t make it more than a couple of miles up Swakane Canyon… We will see.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Today, chukar hunting near Chelan, 15 miles north of Swakane Canyon:

Rather nicely stuck with the trailer last winter in Swakane, only a mile or so from the start of the road:

On the way out of Swakane, that same trip:

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Last year’s run through Swakane and beyond, Dec 2016. It was seriously cold, about 7 degrees as I recall:

Following Tad’s big GMC:

Tad, doing some chainsaw work:

Break time. We were going to camp there for the night, but with the temp at 7 and dropping… We all went home instead. 🙂

Aaron Kravik

Regarding the catching up, what kid of radio do you have? If you’re ham you could at least get a hold of us if you run into trouble

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Regarding the catching up, what kid of radio do you have? If you’re ham you could at least get a hold of us if you run into trouble

Yes. I don’t know the HAM repeaters in the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area, but I understand there are some good ones.

Guy

Nik Schulz
    Participant
    Basic Member

Guy, thanks for the rundown. Re: the prospect of me being three hours behind, I hear you and I respect your prudence. I think I’ll sit this trip out and see if I can organize something closer to home.

Hope to join in another time!

Nik

Aaron Kravik

Guy, where/what time do you want to meet up for camp?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.