Cover “like” shoot of your overland outfitted rig in action?

Home Forums General Activity Planning Cover “like” shoot of your overland outfitted rig in action?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Travis Isaacs 21 hours, 22 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Bruce McCallum
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey NWOL, I am a full-time photographer looking to update my outdoor adventure photography portfolio and would like to know if anyone here (photographers or enthusiasts) would be interested in teaming up to capture magazine cover like imagery of various overland vehicles navigating a variety of terrain in varying conditions?  Specifically, can we arrange a date/time/place to capture your overland outfitted rig in action?  I am primarily looking to capture imagery that allows me to showcase my overland portfolio to potential equipment suppliers and manufacturers – not to sell the images we create, directly.  However, if a direct sale did occur the owner of the vehicle would receive a percentage of the sale price of any such image.  The best of the best images would be printed and displayed at my booth at the NW Overland Rally event in Plain, WA.  Regardless, if one of our images was chosen for display or not… the owner of the vehicle would receive one  mounted unframed 13×19 print from our outing as well as its web sized digital counterpart.  Apologies, but other than revenue from a direct sale – this is NOT a paid opportunity.  Ideally, our outing would be an excuse to go exploring in our separate rigs and where we would spend up to 20% of our time together in the setup and capture of a few potential cover like shot(s).  If you needed an excuse to exercise your rig; or you needed the company of another independent rig; or you and/or your small group would be out exploring anyway – this may just be an added feature of your day.  Perhaps Dan might be able to use some of our images here on this site as well.  Anyway, for starters… I am just curious if there would be any interest?

The portfolio I am hoping to update is located at: http://www.epic-exposure.com/Location/Adventure/Location-Adventure/

I can be contacted here or at my email address: epic-exposure@msn.com

Thanks,

—Bruce— (epic-exposure.com)

Aaron Kravik

Sounds fun. Did you have a location in mind?

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Always up for burning some hydrocarbons and capturing some photons 🙂

(the link didn’t work for me, looks like SmugMug is down.  hopefully not pulling a Photobucket)

Bruce McCallum
    Participant
    Basic Member

I am very open to suggestions… but here are a few starting points (think larger area around target, not necessarily focused on target itself).  Goal would be day trip.  Perhaps short overnighter if in the right area in order to attempt to capture sunset, milky way, and sunrise.

Sand:
    —————————
    Beverly Sand Dunes (ORV Park)
    Saddle Mountain
    Moses Lake
    Potholes State Park
    Banks Lake

Sound/Ocean:
    —————————
    Fort Flagler State Park
    Moclips

Forest:
    —————————
    Tahuya State Forest
    North and South side of Keechelus Lake
    Middle Fork of Snoqualmie River
    Greenwater

Sparse:
    —————————
    Chumstick area (out of Leavenworth)
    Quilomene Wildlife Area/Wind Farm
    Durr Road (south of Ellensburg)
    Badger Mountain Road

Rivers:
    —————————
    Canyon Road (between Ellensburg and Yakima)
    Columbia River (between Vantage and hwy 24)

Snow:
    —————————
    Snoqualmie Pass
    Paradise (on Mt Rainier)

Other:
    —————————
    Any stage of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route
    Any stage of the various Sound Rider WA Sasquatch Dual Sport route(s)

Thanks,
    —Bruce—

Bruce McCallum
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks for the heads-up with regard to the link not working.  I just tried on several machines including with different Smugmug permissions (admin/guest) and all rendered.  Hopefully, just an anomaly(?).

Thanks,

—Bruce—

Aaron Kravik

Something in the Olympics would be cool. Love it out there and don’t spend though time there

Bruce McCallum
    Participant
    Basic Member

I participated in a Sound Rider Sasquatch Dual Sport ride in 2011 that started from Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics and then traversed forest service roads south in parallel with the Hood Canal (this would have been mid August timeframe).  Hurricane Ridge was spectacular.  I would go back in a heartbeat.  The cross-state GPS route that started in the Olympic National Park can be found here:

https://store.soundrider.com/collections/self-guided-nw-tours/products/sasquatch-dual-sport-adventure-tour-olympic-peninsula-loop

Note: I have no affiliation with the above link.

Thanks,

—Bruce—

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

(site works for me now – awesome shots)

All the above – definitely would love to get my gear out and have a photography centric trip. It can be tough to spend the time to find good shots when everyone’s constantly moving.  Of course having the attention span of a 2 year old doesn’t help.

Here you go Aaron, https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrbadhabit/albums/72157625997172878

Benny Benson
    Area Coordinator

I’d be down. Not really text book overlander but my rig is pretty photogenic…

jim lee
    Participant
    Basic Member

Why do people blur out their license plates on photos?

-jim lee

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Paranoia, I guess. I used to do it, but I guess unless you have a buddy that works at DOL or the police, not sure how one can track a vehicle’s location. I am sure I am missing something, but it might just some down to personal preference.

Dan

P.S. I would totally be on board. I need to finish my build up first, though. Soon!

Aaron Kravik

Blurring is one thing but everyone who uses their thumbs is hilarious. Used to be when your fingers were in the shot, it meant you sucked at operating a camera 😛

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Aaron Kravik

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/188967-beware-of-the-craigslist-license-plate-killer!

Most importantly, when using your finger, make sure the your fingernail is facing the camera so they can’t get your fingerprint from the photo!!

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Damn, should have thought of that.  That explains all these stalkers…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.