Douglas Creek – planning

Home Forums General Activity Planning Douglas Creek – planning

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Otis Ranhofer 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

Is anyone that’s attending the Douglas Creek outing planning to head over Friday for an extra night?  If so, let me know.  I mostly want to avoid getting up way too early on Saturday to get over to Rock Island, and adding an extra night of camping is my favorite way to do that.  I’m considering options down near Quincy or potentially north of Wenatchee in Swakane Canyon as suggested by Guy.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Ed, how ’bout you and I meet in Swakane on Friday and camp there? Then head to Rock Island to meet other people on the trip? 🙂

Other folks are certainly invited. There are some nice informal campsites in Swakane. No toilets, no running water. Just primitive camping.

Guy

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

Guy – sounds good, I’m hoping to head out NLT 4PM on Friday which I think would put me in the Wenatchee area around 7PM.  Things are still a bit TBD, any changes and I’ll bet sure to let you know.

Ole Hellevik
    Participant
    Basic Member

Camping the night before sounds like a great idea, I’ll have to see if I can head out of work early on Friday.

How would I find you up there?  Do you have coordinates for the campsites?

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

No, I don’t… Not yet, but I can likely get them.

We should be in-between all the various deer seasons. There are some long-established campsites, several miles up Swakane, off 97A, and we won’t be too far up the canyon. But… I’ll try to have something better than that for you soon.

If nothing else, look for the little white & black Jeep Wrangler with an old Marine hanging around somewhere nearby. 🙂

Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Worth noting that the forecast for nearby Waterville is:

Friday Nov 03: High of 36, low of 19 and snow

Saturday Nov 04: High of 30, low of 18 and snow

Sunday Nov 05: High of 28, low of 18 and snow

Looks like a good idea to pack the woolies…. 🙂

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

woo-hoo!  that’s awesome!  I’ve got a couple of bundles of firewood so we can have a more proper campfire this time.

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

@cascade_wanderer, do you know if there’s a good map of the area available?  The douglass creek area doesn’t appear to be in an NF, so not having a lot of luck finding paper maps.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

BLM has a so-so map they’re willing to sell.

They have a GREAT map they’re not willing to sell. How do I know? I managed to talk to someone at the local BLM office who didn’t know that map wasn’t supposed to be sold to the public! 🙂

I plan on taking us on kind of a tour of Douglas County, and part of Grant County on some rural roads and getting into the history of the area a bit. Douglas Creek on it’s own is really cool, but about a half-day excursion from Wenatchee. I’ve done it a few times when the whim struck and I had a few hours free. So… To keep people occupied for a longer period of time, I thought we’d see more of the area. Got that idea from Keith and Carol a couple of trips back. Why not? There’s some interesting stuff to see out there.

Guy

Sean Harris
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey guys! My buddy and I are a couple last minute additions to this weekend (thanks Guy!). On Saturday morning, we’ll be packing into my 97 LC with our two 6 year old boys and I’ll bring my Aussie Shepherd too, if there’s room in the ute.

Full disclosure: My buddy, Paul, was planning on driving his own Tacoma up this weekend. He just put OME suspension on it and was excited to try it out. However, his wife had her mother pick it up from the shop while Paul was away on a business trip this week. Long story short: MIL wrecked it on the way home. Not totaled, but not drivable either. Now he gets ride shotty with me and make sandwiches. If he looks depressed, make sure to tease him relentlessly.

Question: Should we expect to be setting up tents on snow?

Cheers!
    Sean

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

Sean – unsure, but probably best to plan for it just in case.  While it’s warming up slightly, the weather forecast still shows potential for snow.  https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USWA0482:1:US.

Sorry to hear about Paul’s Taco – hopefully the sight of my ’14 Taco w/ OME suspension won’t result in a horrible bout of depression.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Watching the weather forecast warm up a bit, I think that heavy snowfall is unlikely. Wondering about rain. Who knows?

Have gore-tex!

We might end up with muddy tents. Ah well…

Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Just checked the Wunderground forecast for Waterville – and it still looks like a good chance of snow Saturday night/early Sunday morning. That’s fine with me.

Temps are NOT predicted to be as low as originally forecast. Instead of teens, they’re showing low/mid 20’s overnight.

Should be a good run. I think most of the brightly colored fall leaves might be gone, by Saturday, but we will see.  The creek crossing this time of year is usually easy, with low water being typical. Spring, and right after a good hard rain is when that crossing gets deep and fast…

Remember to haul some firewood along, so we can have a good campfire! I’ll bring some.

Not sure if Clark the wonder-dog is coming on this trip or not. I kinda hope so!

Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Some photos of earlier Douglas Creek trips:

Last spring, photo of my Jeep taken by Ira. Water was pretty fast & high during this crossing:

Amy’s “Rally Car” at the crossing:

I think this is a dam that was being put in place to create a pond or lake….

Looking at the vastness of Central Washington, from Rock Island Grade:

Hoping this trip will be as terrific as the past NWOL ventures into Douglas Creek!

Guy

Paul Robertson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Looking forward to the trip, I will be riding shotgun with Sean as my MIL crashed my taco taking out the new OME driver’s side suspension. I’m rolling off a flight from China to this, will be a bit of whiplash in a good way. Maybe best I’m not driving as 15hr of jet lag and road trips are probably not the best idea!

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.