Douglas Creek – planning

Home Forums General Activity Planning Douglas Creek – planning

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Otis Ranhofer 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Ed & Ole – looking at the map – I think there is a decent campsite, not too far up Swakane, at:

47.597244 – 120.383577

And of course just looking for the little white Jeep and the campfire should work too.   🙂

I won’t be more than a few miles up the canyon since we’ve got to get in there. probably at night, and we’ll need to get up and out reasonably early, to stay on track to meet everyone in Rock Island at 9:00 on Saturday morning.

Guy

Ole Hellevik
    Participant
    Basic Member

Since I’m coming from the wet side of the mountains, do you recommend driving up fro 97A or would coming up Nahanum Canyon Rd from Cashmere work just as well?

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

In the dark, if you’re not familiar with the roads, I’d recommend going all the way to 97A and coming up Swakane Canyon.

Guy

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

In the dark, if you’re not familiar with the roads, I’d recommend going all the way to 97A and coming up Swakane Canyon. Guy

Guy – I’m planning to leave home around 3:30PM, which should put me in Wenatchee around 6:30PM.  I’ll likely gas up then head up to meet you, I’d guess my earliest ETA would be 7PM.  I never count on having cell coverage (t-mobile) but I’ll have my InReach and will text you if I’m straying too far from that timeline.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Great! Thanks Ed.

I think I’ll have my camp set up in Swakane by about 5:00 pm, 1700 for you military types. 🙂

Once the sun sets, I’ll get that campfire blazing. Should be pretty easy to find. I’ll set up as close to the Swakane Canyon dirt road as I can.

Guy

Keith Murray
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi guys.

I’m out for this weekend. I’m going to continue to heal up and gear up so I can enjoy future trips. Have fun!

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

We will miss you Keith, but I completely understand.

Really glad you made it to our get-together in Cashmere!

Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Weather forecast for the Waterville area has moderated somewhat.

We should still get some chilly, damp weather, maybe even some snow.

Guy

Aaron Kravik

Weather forecast for the Waterville area has moderated somewhat. We should still get some chilly, damp weather, maybe even some snow. Guy

We’ll send some cold thoughts down from the great white north 😉

Ray Tennal
    Participant
    Premium Member

Looking forward to running with you all.

Paul Robertson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Sean and myself and the two ankle bitters are coming from Seattle tomorrow morning. Were are aiming for 9 am, its gonna be an early morning!

Cheeers

Paul Robertson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks for a great trip, here are the pics I took during the trip.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w9KVqLw2UH71FoKY2

We did some additional unplanned overlanding on the way back and managed to bypass the entire I90 blockage buy using frintagea roads, an access road beside the railroad tracks between Nelson Siding road and NF-4828.

Cheers

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Cool. You took great photos! The boys sure seemed to have a good time!

Guy

Sean Harris
    Participant
    Basic Member

If ever you have Paul in the navigator’s seat, trust in the man’s ability to read a map.

“Left! Take this left right here.”
    “Here?”
    “YES!”
    “But that’s a BNSF service road.”
    “It connects. And since when are you the voice of reason?”
    “Ooooooookay then.”

We pass SO much traffic just sitting at a standstill on I-90. And NF-4828 is a gem of a road. Great discovery. We skipped the part that goes to the summit of Mt. Amabilis, but it looked really neat. If anyone wants to try that road with us in the near future, let me know!

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

By the way – there’s also a thread on this down in the Trip Reports section:

Trip Reports

Guy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.