Expedition Overland…

Home Forums General General Expedition Overland…

This topic contains 54 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 5 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

David Ball
    Participant
    Basic Member

It may end up being a rhetorical question but, is anyone following this series? What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.xoverland.com/

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

Just checked it out. Nope.
    Dyslexic thought it was about Overland Expo.

Benny Benson
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

I’ve been following them from the begining and while I enjoy their “webisodes”, I’m wondering if they are actually that serious or are they goofing off and making it look like they are doing something more epic than it is. It’s getting a little to dramatic and over done for me. It’s also becoming a giant ad. You know, look at the top notch stuff you have to have to go overlanding.

David Ball
    Participant
    Basic Member

I just learned of it not long ago and have watched an episode or two. I can’t quite explain it with much clarity but, there is something that is a real turnoff for me. I find the voiced over info on the land and history juxtaposed with their obvious inexperience and lack of common sense very distasteful. I like the idea and would find the project entertaining if it were taken on by another set of characters.

Anthony Werre
    Participant
    Basic Member

I have been watching. Their older stuff was much better. But the Alaska series has been a huge disappointment. 2 episodes on 2 towns and a lot of personal drama. Where is the expedition footage that was in the trailer. I really don’t care to hear why you quit your job, watching a haircut, seeing you lay on a glacier. A lot of potential but show us the trails where the rigs were built and vendors supported getting them equiped to run on.

Don Childers
    Participant
    Premium Member

I’ve watched their stuff in the past. I don’t really like the delivery. It seems like they are trying to make a set of camping trips into life-changing events. I do like some of the cinematography though. Basically, the whole set of videos are over-dramatized vacations.

Mike Block
    Participant
    Basic Member

I kind of enjoy it! They are smart enough to have someone pay for there trip. I could care less about the personal reflection but to go, see, do, on some elses money brilliant!

Mike Block
    Participant
    Basic Member

And yes the older videos are better!

Scott Bruder
    Participant
    Premium Member

can’t argue with that

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

I liked the stuff which included a motorcycle in the earlier episodes. Personally, I like to see a bunch of Montana boys, and wives, having this much fun. Yes, I dislike all the advertising, but they have to pay for this somehow. Now, if they could include a little more of the exploration stuff, it would be a lot better. Give them a chance to mature a bit, let’s see how this develops.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Don’t really care for the “reality tv show” feel of the later episodes…. But have to agree wheelin on someone else dime, brilliant

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

I think if I were wheeling on some else’s dime, it would have to be a full boat expedition. All expenses paid, maybe through Africa.

Rhodes Carter
    Participant
    Basic Member

Like most everyone else, I liked the 1st season that showed more of the off roading & exploration. Now it’s just another cheesy reality show. I reluctantly watched their most recent episode, and that was my last. As my wife said – “Just a bunch of kids doing fancy home videos of their vacation.”

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I had the opportunity to talk to Clay face to face at Overland Expo this year. He and his team were explaining to me about their intentions of this trip. The funding and the advertising is a little overdone, however the whole idea of this series was to sell it to a network.

In my opinion, I think this is well played. I wouldn’t give up on the series yet, there may be more fun stuff to come.
    They are just trying to get you all to know who they are and build up to a climactic end. (I think).

I don’t think we should bash the series. Considering each and every one of us would jump at the opportunity to ride along on this trip. I applaud them for having the foresight to put this all together. Lots and lots of logistical planning and prep work.

So, who wants to plan a Alaska trip?

Dan

Drew McCurdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ve been following them since their earlier episodes when there was a lot more exploration and offroading than the Alaskan series, but I get who they are trying to market too with the more dramatic stuff. Personally, I’m still trying to support, but they need to get more offroad footage and the old “exploration” examples back into their Alaska series. The best part was that they did a great job filming their old stuff with awesome destinations that could be done by people like us. Hope they turn it around…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.