Expedition Overland…

Home Forums General General Expedition Overland…

This topic contains 54 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 5 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I see they edited one guy out, maybe that was the reason they were pulled? It’s funny that Clay is on this page —>

The AM trail looks awesome, wish it was closer to Colorado. If I ever make it to the PNW I want to try some Underlanding on the BC Goldrush Trail:

Chris DiBianco
    Participant
    Basic Member

Who did they edit out?

Their page used to show more people under “the crew” section but now it’s just the 4 main people, Clay, Scott, and their ladies.

Anonymous

they edited out Jordan, he was the guy with Chrohns. I only remember his name because they did a horrible video called Jordan Loves Journey that I luckily just found! ūüôā Enjoy, hope it doesn’t ruin Journey for you…

http://vimeo.com/channels/281370/24536161

David Ball
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ve been gone for quite some time, but am back.¬† Just reread this thread and was wondering if anyone still follows Expedition Overland?¬† At the time of the initial posts, many people were commending them on¬†putting trips together on the¬†sponsor’s dime.¬† Fast forward to 2017 and crowd funding is now in the picture.¬† I haven’t watched any Expedition Overland material for years, but I find myself watching a YouTube channel called iamjake with intrigue.¬† It’s overland-ish, but what¬†really peaks my interest¬†is that¬†it’s crowd funded.¬†¬†With, seemingly, every video, he’s introducing new Patreon pledges.¬† Also, in many of his videos, he tapes¬†opening packages and¬†gear¬†that his subscribers send him.¬† Admittedly, lately, there have been a few corporate plugs with gear that he has been given, but it seems much more genuine.¬† Dude has a pretty crappy little Jeep that he makes work, as opposed to the newest Toyota and Icon have to offer.¬† Just some ramblings I wanted to share after rereading this thread.

Aaron Kravik

I’ve been gone for quite some time, but am back. Just reread this thread and was wondering if anyone still follows Expedition Overland? At the time of the initial posts, many people were commending them on putting trips together on the sponsor’s dime. Fast forward to 2017 and crowd funding is now in the picture. I haven’t watched any Expedition Overland material for years, but I find myself watching a YouTube channel called iamjake with intrigue. It’s overland-ish, but what really peaks my interest is that it’s crowd funded. With, seemingly, every video, he’s introducing new Patreon pledges. Also, in many of his videos, he tapes opening packages and gear that his subscribers send him. Admittedly, lately, there have been a few corporate plugs with gear that he has been given, but it seems much more genuine. Dude has a pretty crappy little Jeep that he makes work, as opposed to the newest Toyota and Icon have to offer. Just some ramblings I wanted to share after rereading this thread.

The stuff they do isn’t really my cup of tea. But they’ve found a way to make money doing what they want to do. Good on ’em for that.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Would love to travel around and go to the places that they’ve been.¬† Would really love it if I could get someone to pay for it like they do, let alone make a living on it.¬† As they have done more and more “series” it’s become more and more over polished and over produced.¬† Driving down a dirt road is now a dramatic event that must be drawn out for full impact, of course to showcase their sponsors equipment.¬† That being said, they do hit some pretty cool areas and enjoy experiences that most of us would love to, but probably won’t get the chances at.

I’ve heard from various people that have met and worked with them all, that they are all great, caring and real down to earth people.¬† I have no doubt that they are.¬† The videos are being done for an audience that is probably a little less seasoned and it’s gotta have that mindless marching moron appeal.¬† I’ll keep watching them (beats the hell out of family feud), but the earlier stuff was better, although for being so “experienced”, it’s amazing some of the stuff they did/do.

Benny Benson
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

The IamJake videos are great. You can definetely see the changes as his videos gain polularity and he gets more sponsors. Everyone of us dreams of something like he is doing. Just drop everything and go see the world.

David Ball
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’m starting to turn a corner on this.¬† Last night I sat down with my son, 9yo, and watched the first episode of Expedition Overland returning to the MacKenzie Trail.¬† I found myself with the same critiques of the content and production, but found it to be much more palatable this time around.¬† I’m not sure if it changed or if I did.¬† We watched it and had a good time.¬† At the end, my son asked when¬†could camping next.¬† I’ll take that as a positive and continue to watch the series with him, and any of my girls that want to watch.¬† I’m not sure I’m going to watch much of their other stuff.¬† I’m really only¬†interested in watching shows/videos on places it’s reasonable we may go some day.¬† Just a little update on¬†my Expedition Overland experience, not that anyone cares.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ve met them and yes they are all really nice, talked with Clay for some time during one of the NWOLR bon fires. That being said, I am with a lot of other people in there are things that bug me about how they go about Overlanding. One… it’s supposed to be fun, not a military operation, but it works for them. One thing that REALLY bugged me about both Mackenzie trips, why on earth would you bring different saws???? That’s a really big deal, one breaks you still have a good one and one for parts. And when I talked to them about mud tires they were all about all terrains are fine for what we are doing, then the next thing you know they are running a mud tire. Obviously they are running what General sends them, but at least be honest about it lol. Over all though I enjoy the series, though could be less produced and be better imho.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

I’m sure they’re nice guys.

Guy

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.