GMRS/FRS

Home Forums Groups NWO HAM radio group GMRS/FRS

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Hunt 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bill Hunt
    Participant
    Basic Member

Is anyone using the GMRS radio? I recently got my license and call sign to add to my radio “kit”.  I’ll mount one in my Tacoma along with the dual band and CB. I know the rules have changed in regards to GMRS/FRS radios and I think the GMRS might be a nice gateway into HAM radio.

Bryan Hoult
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

I agree.  I added a GMRS license to my registration a couple of years ago.  I bought a 25w mobile and am anxious to mount it.  I figured so many folks have the GMRS/FRS HHTs that it would be a slam dunk.  I’ve had great luck with some Cobra HHTs and been able to get six mile range with them from inside the truck.  They are certainly fine for what we use CBs for.  I am also a ham and the VHF radios are great – but there’s still a lot of people out there that don’t have a license, so we need a non licensed spectrum base radio.  The GMRS/FRS HHT gives more options for frequency isolation and tone alerts.

-.b

Bill Hunt
    Participant
    Basic Member

The GMRS/FRS interface is a nice idea. The HHTs are inexpensive and the Motorola set I bought are water resistant.  We Actually have a FRS net on the air just prior to our Emergency Management HAM net on Wednesday mornings in Jefferson county. I know Marrowstone Island uses them for neighborhood disaster prep and we encourage people to get them for that purpose.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.