HF Apache Hard Cases

Home Forums Skills & Gear Adventure Gear HF Apache Hard Cases

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Russell 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

I just saw Harbor Freight carries hard cases with pluck foam for pretty reasonable prices… https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-watertight-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html

They only have 3 sizes, but if you only need them for small stuff like cameras, looks like a decent deal.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yeah, HF is stepping up their game a little.  There’s a few gems in there.  So easy to get sucked into the stores with all the “sales” and “coupons” inundating us.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

I just bought their 1/2″ battery impact, 1200lb/ft nut busting 863lb/ft tightening…. crazy

Aaron Kravik

Watched a guy torque test one and it didn’t come close to 1200. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 200. Still a super handy tool though! My Ryobi is only 200 and I use it for everything.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Watched a video of a guy testing one of the Milwaukee High Torque 1/2″.  He set up a bolt through a piece of 1″ plate, then torqued it to 1400ft/lbs using a calibrated digital torque wrench and a torque doubler.  It did loosen it, just barely though.  That’s a lot of force and I don’t think the tool was as pristine after it, but it did do it.  Not often you really need that kind of power, although nice to have if you can afford (and hopefully don’t end up breaking everything with it).

The HF power tools are usually worth the money, not as well made or precise, but a lot cheaper and will get the job done.  Sort of jonesing for one of their 20 ton presses, add a SWAG Off Road finger break and a few other things like a log splitter, and would be well tooled for not a lot of money.

Aaron Kravik

Watched a video of a guy testing one of the Milwaukee High Torque 1/2″. He set up a bolt through a piece of 1″ plate, then torqued it to 1400ft/lbs using a calibrated digital torque wrench and a torque doubler. It did loosen it, just barely though. That’s a lot of force and I don’t think the tool was as pristine after it, but it did do it. Not often you really need that kind of power, although nice to have if you can afford (and hopefully don’t end up breaking everything with it). The HF power tools are usually worth the money, not as well made or precise, but a lot cheaper and will get the job done. Sort of jonesing for one of their 20 ton presses, add a SWAG Off Road finger break and a few other things like a log splitter, and would be well tooled for not a lot of money.

I think we watch the same guy 😀

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Question: These HF cases look exactly like Pelican cases.  Has the Pelican patent expired, or is our gov’t not protecting patenting rights anymore?  I like to find inexpensive products, but I hate cheating American companies and workers.

Just a personal bias.

Dale

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Watched a guy torque test one and it didn’t come close to 1200. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 200. Still a super handy tool though! My Ryobi is only 200 and I use it for everything.

Well if I don’t like it I can always take it back and get the Milwaukee, but I have not seen anything that far under advertised torque.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yeah, some of those reviewers are definitely fan boys and will do anything they can to disprove anything besides (insert favorite fanboy logo here), especially with HF stuff

Aaron Kravik

Question: These HF cases look exactly like Pelican cases. Has the Pelican patent expired, or is our gov’t not protecting patenting rights anymore? I like to find inexpensive products, but I hate cheating American companies and workers. Just a personal bias. Dale

Since they’re made in China, US patent laws don’t apply. Unless Pelican applied for a Chinese patent, there is no legal issue (not getting into ethics).

The design looks different enough, though, that either way they may be in the clear. The pressure equalization valve appears different and the latches appear to be a detent and not a mechanical lock.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Since they’re made in China, US patent laws don’t apply.

US patent laws would apply if they are being sold in the US, which they are.  I believe you’re right though, they are different enough that they probably skirt that issue.  I’m sure Pelican (or any other patent holders)lawyers would love to do nothing more than to chase an infringement through the court system at a highly exorbitant hourly rate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.