Hi! I built the dumbest Audi ever..

Home Forums General Introduce Yourself Hi! I built the dumbest Audi ever..

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Brad Bacon 4 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Kirk Koontz
    Participant
    Basic Member

…and now I’m looking for places to go play with it!  A buddy and I are looking at doing the WABDR (probably in stages over multiple weekends) so I need to get this thing proven out to make sure it’s ready.  I just found this site and it looks like the right place to meet people and learn what’s good.

Here is the rig.  It’s a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro that I lifted ~6″ and swapped a 1.8 turbo + automatic transmission into.

Aaron Kravik

Cool and very unique car !

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Kirk! Nice work man! Looks like a fun ride!

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

Nothing dumb about a creative, functional rig!

Kirk Koontz
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hahaha thanks!  I say dumb mostly because for all this effort I now have something roughly as capable as a stock SUV with all-terrain tires.  But that’s not what it’s about 😉

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Wow!  Can’t wait to see this thing.  great work Kirk!

Aaron Kravik

Let’s be honest though, the TT is the dumbest Audi ever 😛

Kevin Graham
    Participant
    Premium Member

August Horch would be proud!

Kirk Koontz
    Participant
    Basic Member

LOL!  Truth be told I briefly owned a first gen TT (got it in trade for a Lightning swapped 4×4 F150).  Fun car but I felt like I should be wearing lip-gloss whenever I drove it.  Sold it to a nice Canadian fellow who was very excited and had big plans to install a sunroof.

Took the rig out for it’s first real test since the motor & trans conversion on Sunday.  It outperformed my expectations by not breaking.  All the low-speed stuff that was a struggle with the manual trans was a walk in the park with this new drivetrain.

Some video proof that it moves under it’s own power:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ynAw3DOw_DArlYoCv9ja1qJboA0gB_xo/view?usp=sharing

And my buddy in his built-up pro4x for comparison (select 1080p resolution in the lower right corner):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQl1bQlJOsiGv605iSotSgvhbQ-5gdxR/view?usp=sharing

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

I think your Audi did the hill easier.  Would probably be a whole lot more fun at Dirtfish too 🙂

Defenders NW
    Participant
    Vendor

Nicely done  –

but I was really hoping to see a full UR Quattro rally build…

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Nicely done – but I was really hoping to see a full UR Quattro rally build…

Brian meant to put one of these 🙂 after his post 🙂

Defenders NW
    Participant
    Vendor

Nicely done – but I was really hoping to see a full UR Quattro rally build…

Brian meant to put one of these 🙂 after his post 🙂

Je n’utilise pas les emojis…

Love the Audi Rally stuff – and the LMP work that Audi has done as well; and may have had a crush on Michele Mouton…

Kirk Koontz
    Participant
    Basic Member

Let’s be honest: everyone has a crush on (c. 1985) Michele Mouton.

And I agree, a lifted UrQ would be badass and I would love to do it.  Buuuut….

• The price of rusted-out UrQ starts around $15k, which is about 2x my total investment in this car so far (and 7x my original “budget” LOL)
    • I would have to spend the better part of a year fixing rust, painting, etc. before I even got to the fun part of the build
    • A group of angry Audi nerds would undoubtedly turn and attempt to murder me in my sleep for ruining an UrQ.  Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but these people are my friends and I rely on them.

This thing was a complete basket case when I started, but it’s a galvanized body so at least I don’t have to deal with rust.  The real fun for me is fabricating custom parts to achieve the absurd.  If you’re interested I do have a project thread:

http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2064

Rick Iverson
    Participant
    Basic Member

I warned my daughter about you Audi/VW types when she was in high school😋

Teasing aside it looks like fun and has high odds of out doing the Subaru crowd!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.