I'm not gonna mod this one…

Home Forums Vehicles Projects I'm not gonna mod this one…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Kravik 6 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

That’s what I keep telling myself.  Picked up a really clean Gen3 4Runner for a really good price so we’d have an extra set of wheels that could be used for some light overlanding too.  We’ll end up keeping it over in Chumstick.

As we bought it.  349k miles, We’re essentially the 2nd owner (guy we bought it from got from his parents who bought it new in Kirkland).  Timing belt was last changed @281k so feel pretty good about that.  Coolant looks good, not too old and it seems to be holding.  Changed oil and tranny fluid, no smoke, no knocks, no slips.  Seems to have led a pretty sedentary life with mostly dealer work done on it.  Almost a shame it’s so clean and ended up with me…

Pulled the running boards off, the screws holding the license plates on were rustier than the running board bolts.  Gonna do all the ball joints just because I want to start fresh on them (using OEM ones).  I’ve already increased the value by over 20%, I put in some Weathertek floor liners.

Shocks and springs are past their life span, so as long as it needs new ones, might as well lift it a little…Gonna have to do brakes soon, so might as well do a Tundra brake upgrade.  Of course that means the wheels have to go to fit the bigger calipers.

and down the rabbit hole we go…

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Should give you my brakes and upgrade mine.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

LOL I said that about my truck 8 years ago, not even close to be done….are they really ever?

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

I have the stock 16″ rims from my ’14 Taco that may work for you, they had to clear the obnoxiously sized calipers on my truck.  In fact I still have the factory tires w/ 30K on them, still got some life.  The spare is mounted to a factory steelie, that tire has no wear.  No TPMS or valve stems as those moved to the replacement wheels.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Thanks, there’s only a few of the 16″ rims that will work with the Tundra brake calipers – 13WL (231mm).  When the time comes I may just try and find some FJ Crusier  17″ Steelies (there’s actually a set on Craigslist right now…must resist, do the maintenance stuff first!)

Steve Marchiando
    Participant
    Basic Member

Drop in a new radiator. Don’t wait for a strawberry milkshake.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yep, it’s high on my list.  Not a big fan of Strawberry milkshakes of any variety…

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Got a factory Denso rad on Amazon for $104 for my truck..I’d look there first

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.