iPads – mounts, maps and memory

Home Forums General General iPads – mounts, maps and memory

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dale Avery 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

I’m responding to Dale’s question that came up in another thread:

Craig, Could you please share a few more pictures of your installation? Is it in a Toyota? I’d like to try something like that with my 9″ iPad Air 2 with 32 gigs of memory, installing it in my 2011 4Runner. I’ve already got a Garmin Zumo 665 and an inReach suction cupped to the windshield. No more room up there. 🙂 BTW, how much memory do you guys have on your iPads? I wasn’t thinking about that when I bought this one from Verizon. Wish I had a LOT more memory on it for music, pics, and especially downloading data for GPS programs. Craig, you also mentioned playing around with some of the available GPS programs. Which ones are you using? Which ones do you like the most? I have MotionX GPS HD and OSMAndMaps on mine (plus Google and Apple maps). Haven’t been all that impressed with either yet. So have ended up using the Zumo and Google Maps for virtually everything so far. Dale

Dale, I have a 2016 4Runner, and use almost exactly the same hardware as you: Garmin inReach, mounted to the windshield (next to left pillar), iPad Air and Zumo 665. The link below should take you to some pics of how they are mounted. I’ve never actually used the iPad and Zumo at the same time (yet). The Zumo is part of my motorcycle setup, and I use it mostly when I need to follow an off road track. I used the iPad for the first time on our trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. The iPad worked great, and the mount held up on over 40 miles of dirt, potholed roads.

I’m not familiar with the two maps you mentioned – there are so many out there. I use Google maps a lot. Knowing that in some of the places I wouldn’t have cell coverage I used the download feature on Google maps and it worked great. I’ve also used, and like Avenza Maps. Avenza is an app and map store. They have a large selection of georeferenced maps that you download to your device. These are esentially “paper” maps where the GPS in your device plots your position, speed and altitude on the map. No cell coverage required. The only drawback is that you have to purchase the maps – except for some public domain maps, like maps for the National Parks which are free. I used the National Park maps and it worked great. As a test I also purchased the western half of the Montana Benchmark map. The accuracy was very good, and it many ways it was a lot easier to use that map on an iPad than the big book – flipping pages to find the right grid map. I also use Gaia GPS. I find it just OK for my uses. Where it works best for me is when I’m hiking. You can download a segment of a map and track your location and track. But I find it hard to use for route planning and researching an area.

My iPad has 128 GB. Whenever I buy hardware I get the most storage I can afford. There are always new applications that eat up space – and I try to make my devices last as long as possible.

Hope that helps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hK1VIbvUi0l2uabn1

Chris Sherburn
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks for sharing Craig!

Dale, my iPad is only a 32G like yours.  Though surprisingly it’s one of the new 5th gen models.  I was expecting the promo as a plan to dump a bunch of stock of the old models.  While 32G may be less than ideal in certain circumstances, I would think it should be fine most of the time.  Besides, for $100 I wasn’t going to complain.  lol

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi Chris!

32 gigs will work most of the time.  Just remember to remove any maps, tracks, etc., if you are not using them.  That also goes for anything else that uses memory; music, photos, and so on.

I really like Craig’s setup.  I should get some pics of my setup and send them to someone who can post them here. Like Craig, I use my Zumo a lot more on my motorcycle than in the rig.  But I also use it in the 4Runner too. I’ve purchased the Western States and North central states maps from Garmin.  The big glitch with the maps is when trying to create routes and tracks in Basecamp you have to switch from one set to the other once you leave WA and enter ID for example.  They are not seamless. Since most of my travels are east of Spokane, this can be a real PITA.

Google updates their maps and data more frequently than Garmin and thus is much more friendly to use in a big city environment, like when we travel to the Seattle area to visit the kids. Once on gravel roads, USFS & BLM land, etc., the Garmin is better.

I use the inReach now every time we travel any distance.  It is a great way to keep the family informed of our location, plus being a great resource if something goes seriously wrong. I use the $25 bundle during the travel months, and go down to the cheaper $12 one for the winter months.  A motorcycle friend of mine uses a Spot 3 and it is a much less expensive way to go, and really works pretty well too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.