Lolo Motorway run around 8/1-8/2.

Home Forums General Activity Planning Lolo Motorway run around 8/1-8/2.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Britzen Roen 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Britzen Roen
    Participant
    Basic Member

Ellis and I didn’t run down the entire Lolo Motorway with the rest of the group last week, so we’re going to buzz up the beginning of the week with the mutts to escape the heat.

It’s short notice, but if anyone who missed the big run wants to go, let me know. We’re not set on a certain day, but targeting Monday or Tuesday, spend the night, then come down. I’m still up in the air on a westward or eastward route, either hitting the 12 on the front end or backside back to the cabin.

Steve Marchiando
    Participant
    Basic Member

The far east of the lolo was closed.  I can get you the track on where we had to enter.

Britzen Roen
    Participant
    Basic Member

I don’t really use tracks if I can help it, but would appreciate it, just in case.

I go up Parachute, not Shotgun. That’s the road right across from Powell, but if that’s closed too, I’d have to look at your tracks. Saddle Camp to 12 had heavy equipment blocking it, so choices are getting few and far between. Shotgun isn’t really considered part of the Motorway proper, I’ll use that segment later for a Montana run, if the fire doesn’t wreak too much havoc.

I have a great book on with mile markers of the 3 historical (Nez Perce North, Bird Truax and the Lolo Motorway) trails that I’m looking forward to putting use.

Britzen Roen
    Participant
    Basic Member

We didn’t run into any fire closures, but saw a Heli over the Lochsa at the Powell R.S. and a big black column shot off in the Moose Cr. area, really hoping it wasn’t the historical R.S. We could see the large column at Elk Summit by Lolo Pass, the HUGE column on the Missouri fire, where the IDBR is detoured near Warren and several smaller columns in the Selway. FYI, unleaded was 2.78 and the card reader sticks a little, keep trying.

A few snags and 2 Atv’s on the first half , then ran into a few full size trucks since there’s a big base camp of folks clearing hiking trails on the west side near 12 mi camp.

We were going to camp at Rocky Ridge, but it was half full at 4pm and figured it’d be best to let visiting riders grab a spot later, so we just hightailed it back to the cabin.

We’ll probably hit up the East side in a few weeks, since we don’t spend much time there, and there’s a big loop off Cayuse Jct. that I wan’t to explore.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.