Naches with a Roof Top Tent?

Home Forums General General Naches with a Roof Top Tent?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Josh Berrian 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Josh Berrian
    Participant
    Basic Member

Has anyone run Naches with a roof top tent on their vehicle? I’ve run Naches several times, but never with my tent up there. I’m worried that there might be some trees/branches over the trail that will be too low for me to clear.

For anyone that’s ran Naches this year, would you have any reservations about doing it with an already tall SUV (Xterra) and RTT?

Thanks for the help!

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Mike Block did it with his Tacoma with a RTT but there were a couple very tight places he needed a spotter for.

I will be up there this weekend with a  couple other folks but we don’t have anything on top our rigs

Josh Berrian
    Participant
    Basic Member

Mike Block did it with his Tacoma with a RTT but there were a couple very tight places he needed a spotter for. I will be up there this weekend with a couple other folks but we don’t have anything on top our rigs

I’ll be up there this weekend, as well, so hopefully I see you on the trail!

Thanks for the reply. Tight places are what I’m worried about. I’ve run trails before with the RTT, but Naches is tight and narrow. I don’t want to be a burden to the group I’m running the trail with.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

We will be starting on the lower West side and running it in a figure 8 (up hill both ways) Look for a red and a white Ford Explorer (there may be 2 white ones)

We will be on 146.460

KG7PKQ and KG7VTT

Also CB-22

Camping at the Ranger Creek airstrip

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I did it in my Defender 90 and ripped a 12″ gash in my tent cover. So yeah, it’s doable 🙂

Dan

Josh Berrian
    Participant
    Basic Member

I did it in my Defender 90 and ripped a 12″ gash in my tent cover. So yeah, it’s doable 🙂 Dan

Hah, how did you manage to do that? So you’re saying keeping the tent up top is ill-advised?

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I was driving through a tight section and there was a broken tree branch stub sticking out of a tree trunk and **S L I C E **….

It is doable, but just be fore warned that it can happen.

Dan

Mike Smith
    Participant
    Basic Member

but we don’t have anything on top our rigs

some of us have a tall rack, with a ton of lights and VLA worth of radio antennas

just made it through the trail today with a tall ish truck (ranger on 35s) with roof rack. there are always some tight spots but if its dry, your careful and have a great spotter its easy to do.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

We saw a group of xterras when we entered the trail on the East side. Was one you?

Josh Berrian
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks for for the information and tips, everyone. I ran the trail with the tent yesterday and no damage was incurred. Also camped Friday and a Saturday night at dispersed sites. It was a great weekend!

We saw a group of xterras when we entered the trail on the East side. Was one you?

Sure was! I was the only Xterra with the roof top tent, hah. I saw your group as we were close to exiting the trail on the east side. I wish I had known it was you!

Josh Berrian
    Participant
    Basic Member

I didn’t get many pictures on the trail, itself. However, here I am on the high road heading back west.

IMG_20170729_184017824

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.