Website Ideas

Home Forums Administration Website Ideas

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Cronin 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Bryan Hoult
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

It seems a good time to refine the feedback and move forward in the context of a scope constrained by sanity. I think a “wiki” on how to post images within 3 or 4 common photo source “cases” would be helpful. Also, general advice on what to post where for the best impact would be nice – directions over a site map sort of thing. Nothing that would require any development, and perhaps “someone” could volunteer to provide samples for inclusion in the word press structure ? Without exception I enjoy the discussions, format, and content of NWOL. If we couldn’t change a thing I would be more than happy enough. -.b

Bryan is right. We totally dropped the ball on the survey he put together. I think we need to resurrect the results of that to dial in making updates to our progress. Dan

Worrisome – Bryan is never right.

-.b

jim lee
    Participant
    Basic Member

To grow something, you need to make it attractive to people who are not members. (yet) Everyone should focus on making sure first time posters are enjoying the experience as much as possible. One easy idea that would help the new person, is a list of acronyms used here. I’m new, so I’m seeing this from the perspective of a unenlightened person and it seems like you have a private language of acronyms. Its really tough to translate what they all mean. Give us a pointer to a list of acronyms so we can look them up.

-jim lee

Gabe Engler
    Participant
    Premium Member

Hi Jim!

Forum speak is kind if foriegn to some. Any in particular?

jim lee
    Participant
    Basic Member

Well, all of them.

Here’s my thinking. Like I said, if you want the site to grow, you need to recruit from the largest pool of people that are not already members.

Am I talking about people that are already doing this? No. There’s not a lot of people doing this, as opposed to people who just happen to have a 4×4 SUV or, are thinking about buying a 4×4 SUV and are wondering.. What fun thing can they do with it if they buy it? If you expand your net out far enough to include the ones who are dreaming about buying a 4×4, you target a huge community.

Target your list to those people, very basic and complete.

FWD – Four wheel drive.
    SUV – Sport utility vehicle.
    NWOL – North Western OverLand .. This group.
    WABDR – Washington Backcountry Discovery Route.

Sort it by First key word, like any glossary. Link it to the main menu. Also, add any slang common to the group. For example : Taco – Toyota Tacoma truck.

Make this list something that is very easy to update. I’d set it up so any member could edit the list. Or, you could use editing privilege as a perk for paid membership.

Anyway, I say this because the jargon and acronyms really slowed me down when I was looking at what this group has to offer.

-jim lee

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

It seems a good time to refine the feedback and move forward in the context of a scope constrained by sanity. I think a “wiki” on how to post images within 3 or 4 common photo source “cases” would be helpful. Also, general advice on what to post where for the best impact would be nice – directions over a site map sort of thing. Nothing that would require any development, and perhaps “someone” could volunteer to provide samples for inclusion in the word press structure 🙂 Without exception I enjoy the discussions, format, and content of NWOL. If we couldn’t change a thing I would be more than happy enough. -.b

The wiki is going to happen soon. I love the idea, it was actually Craig’s intent to implement one and I see the value in it.

Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.