Newbie from Vancouver

Home Forums General Introduce Yourself Newbie from Vancouver

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Kravik 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tony Lane
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi guys! My name is Tony. I recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.  Recently bought it a set of off-road tires. I am planning to go on my first outdoor adventure but first I need to make my Jeep, off-road worthy.

Aaron Kravik

Welcome aboard! Don’t get too hung up on farkles before you go out. Your Jeep is plenty capable stock. Get out and enjoy the wilderness, figure out what you actually want, and go from there.

Tony Lane
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks Aaron for the advice.

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Welcome, Tony!

Tony Lane
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks, Dan!

shaun Hoffman
    Participant
    Basic Member

people get really hung up on “obverlanding necessities” when in reality almost none of it is needed . Learn what your rig can do stock, learn its strengths and weaknesses and make changes accordingly. it may sound silly but the first big upgrade any offroad vehicle should get is a winch it will get you out of more places and situations then any amount of lift tires and lockers will , in all actuality those items will only get you more stuck because you will try harder and harder things .

Ole Hellevik
    Participant
    Basic Member

Newbie here too…  best option for finding the limits of your rig & yourself is to go with a group.  If you get stuck, your buddies will help you get un-stuck and you get to decide whether you need to add capabilities or accept your limits.

The one thing you do need to bring is a cb radio.  Doesn’t have to be fancy, but you do want to stay in contact with the other vehicles that you’re traveling with.

Just my $.02

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

people get really hung up on “obverlanding necessities” when in reality almost none of it is needed . Learn what your rig can do stock, learn its strengths and weaknesses and make changes accordingly. it may sound silly but the first big upgrade any offroad vehicle should get is a winch it will get you out of more places and situations then any amount of lift tires and lockers will , in all actuality those items will only get you more stuck because you will try harder and harder things .

I think the idea of “overlanding” has a more populous bill of material than just “offroad”. Having done both, it’s apples to oranges.

Then term “Overland” is more in sync with “Vehicle Dependent Exploration and Travel”

“Offroading” is a subset of the “Overland” experience. Agreed?

Dan

Aaron Kravik

I think the idea of “overlanding” has a more populous bill of material than just “offroad”. Having done both, it’s apples to oranges. Then term “Overland” is more in sync with “Vehicle Dependent Exploration and Travel” “Offroading” is a subset of the “Overland” experience. Agreed? Dan

Aye, but the amount of crap some people think that they need to be dependent on their vehicles is exorbitant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.