No-Go criteria

Home Forums General Activity Planning No-Go criteria

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

What’s your “no-go” criteria?

I’ve had to cancel, postpone, and re-route several NWOL trips for various reasons:

1. Roads were excessively soft. I don’t like digging deep ruts in the roads. Not long ago I was asked to not use a certain road, because it was so soft. That road has very little gravel or rock, and in summer is very silty. When rain and snow soak it, the route quickly becomes very soft.

2. Drifting snow cut the two-track down to a very narrow route, with a tremendous drop-off on one side. It simply had gotten too dangerous to take a group in there. Highly likely that somebody’s rig would slip off the edge, and highly unlikely that anyone would survive that tumble to the bottom.

3. Crazy bad weather! If there’s a huge winter snow storm coming… One of those giant storms that drops LOTS of snow… No, I’m not real interested in getting the rigs all stuck in a deep fresh snow.

4. Wildfires! Seems the summers the past few years in the Northwest have had some horrific wildfires. No point in taking a group into the path of a wildfire, or enduring terrible smoke.

Other “no-go” reasons?

Thanks, Guy

Ole Hellevik
    Participant
    Basic Member

Some of mine would be…

1. When I’m needed at home or at work, for reasons that weren’t planned

2. Rig was totaled…  Or if I blew a tire and I am waiting for a replacement

3. If I’m going on my own I need to be able to put on my hiking boots and make it out should something happen.  If I don’t feel up to it (weather, or I’m under the weather) I won’t go

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

Especially if no one has done it before but someone says ‘It will be fun, even if we get stuck’ It looks OK on one of the sites (can’t remember the one) though. Having done this stuff before I know my limits.

Excessive heat or cold, its got to be a reasonable trip. Not up for freezing my tail off.

Over 500 miles just to get there before we even hit dirt. Although from here to Moab might be an exception.

…and the things Guy mentioned.

LGRT
    Participant
    Basic Member

My big three over the years:

Drug wars: Planning my first trip down Baja, Tijuana was pretty much a DMZ. The drug wars were in the news every other day and everyone I knew personally (none of which had been there) were telling my I would be crazy to go…  I caved to emotional and peer pressure.  Then  did more research, talked with people who  go down there regularly and made the trip a couple of years latter.

Snow and switch backs: this combination seem to be my kryptonite.  Something about the laws of gravity and the coefficient of friction  sets off alarm bells in my head and has turned me around more times than any other thing.

Heat stroke: always put your friends before finishing a trip (or things). Enough said.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

LGRT – I appreciate all your “No Go” criteria.

Drug Wars – as a law enforcement officer, believe me, I know what gets smuggled across our southern border and goes into the hands of Hispanic street gangs. And how dangerous they can be. As a Marine, I worked some very sensitive missions near the border, to interdict those shipments… It was… interesting. Yes, that’s a good word. I used to go to Mexico now and again for recreation. Mountain climbing, or just goofing off, usually in seldom traveled areas. No more. And likely for good reason. Frankly, the Mexicans need to make Mexico viable. It could be an incredible place. Am afraid it’s going to take a big payment in bloodshed to get it there. ‘Nuff said.

Snow – OMG yes! That danged stuff is fun to play with. I’ve been camping, hiking, snowshoeing and Nordic Skiing in the snow and ice for decades. But dang… That stuff will reach up and snatch a rig and send it right off the road! You’re right. Caution is advised.

Heat Stroke – when I was young and tough I seemed immune to heat problems. I’d go for a nine mile run in 100+ degree temps with no problem. Now? I sit in the shade, read a book and drink ice water to stay cool. Then, when that fails, I go inside to the comfort of air conditioning. I’m a wimp in the heat these days.

Regards, Guy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.