Our Moab/Zion/GB excursion

Home Forums Travel Trip Reports Our Moab/Zion/GB excursion

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Craig Wainscott 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Just returned from a 10 day trip to Utah and Nevada.

We did Island in the Sky and White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP. The scale of everything there is mind blowing. Everything there is wide, long, and/or tall. Distances are difficult to estimate because your brain struggles to comprehend how massive everything is. It really makes you feel small when you’re driving a shelf road next to a 1000ft drop.

A day exploring some other trails with historical sites near Moab.

A couple hours in Arches on our way out.

On the way to Zion we drove through Capitol Reef NP, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, and Dixie National Forest.

Hiked The Narrows at Zion and some other bumming around.

Explored Lehman Caves at Great Basin National park and drove a scenic road to over 10,000 feet.

Here’s a link to the myriad of photos I took:

Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, Zion, Great Basin

Posted by Aaron Kravik on Monday, October 2, 2017

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

Welcome back, sounds like a great trip.  I’ll look forward to browsing your pics soon.

-Ed

Michael Massong
    Participant
    Basic Member

We hit Moab for a couple days in July, after the FJ Summit. Most of our plans were a bust due to rain, but managed to hit Gemini Bridges and Potash road. Did you happen to see Long Canyon? Amazing! Looking forward to getting back down there. Hope you had a great trip!

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

We didn’t hit long canyon. Looks great through.

We did white rim, Gemini bridges, Dome Plateau, and hurrah pass.

Definitely need to get back though

Ray Tennal
    Participant
    Premium Member

Yes, this was a great trip…. Aaron did an outstanding job on putting it all together.   Like Aaron said, we have to go back.

As one from Arizona growing up around Flagstaff and Sedona and even working a summer at Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon I thought before hand this will be a great trip.  Even with this experience I was taken away by the sure sizes of the Canyon walls.  It was amazing.  The problem is this area is so massive, just a few days there is not enough.

I did have to go touch home and visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  I forgotten how beautifully the drive is once you get about 7,000 feet.  the last few mile is the best as you drive up through a meadow surrounded by Aspen, Fir and Pine trees.  This time of year is even better as you can see the leave changing on the Aspen trees.  If you haven’t been… you should go.

I hope to have a link to some photo for you soon.

Thanks Millions Aaron for allowing me to tag along.

I can’t wait to go back!! next week (I wish).

Benjamin Wall
    Participant
    Basic Member

Aaron,

Departure plans shifted from Sept 29th to Oct 13th.

We are planning on:

• Fallen Peace Officer
    • Seven Mile Rim
    • Willow Springs Road
    • Fins and Things
    • Kane Creek Canyon
    • Top of the World (possible late entry)

Granted that there are many trails to hit, any ideas on these?

Or recommendations of others?

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Aaron, Departure plans shifted from Sept 29th to Oct 13th. We are planning on:

• Fallen Peace Officer
    • Seven Mile Rim
    • Willow Springs Road
    • Fins and Things
    • Kane Creek Canyon
    • Top of the World (possible late entry)

Granted that there are many trails to hit, any ideas on these? Or recommendations of others?

I’ve heard Top of the World is awesome. We didn’t make it there unfortunately.

If you don’t have it already, get this book. It’s worth its weight in gold in Moab.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507069117&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=moab+4wd+book

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Benjamin, Kane Creek will be a real hoot. Hamburger hill will be a real challenge.

You can borrow my Moab books if you want. Let me know

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

Aaron, I can’t see or find the link to your pics??? I’d love to see them.

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

If you click on the date it’ll take you to my Facebook pictures. Not sure why it’s displaying like that.

I’ll see about hosting them elsewhere tomorrow…

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

I tried everything but the date! That worked. Looks like an awesome trip. Love that White Rim Road. Hope to convince my wife (who doesn’t like heights or exposed slopes) to do that some day.

What were the night time temps? We just got back from Glacier and Yellowstone and are looking for fall trips to do next year.

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

I tried everything but the date! That worked. Looks like an awesome trip. Love that White Rim Road. Hope to convince my wife (who doesn’t like heights or exposed slopes) to do that some day. What were the night time temps? We just got back from Glacier and Yellowstone and are looking for fall trips to do next year.

There are definitely some places along the road where she wouldn’t be happy then. Some quite narrow and steep drop off shelf roads. The shorter wheelbase of your 4Runner would help navigate some of those though.

Nighttime temps went down into the 40s. We were lucky in that clouds always blew in overnight and helped keep things warmer than your typical desert night.

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

Doing that road will probably stay on my wish list for now.

We got home this weekend from a 10 day trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. We tent camped a few nights. Temps into the mid-20s one night. Without our Buddy heater and Outland Firebowl we would have been popsicles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.