Pat's MegaCabCummins

Home Forums Vehicles Projects Pat's MegaCabCummins

This topic contains 161 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Benny Benson 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • Author

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

My truck started out going one direction, then some things changed and now going a completely different way with it. A little history, a few years ago I bought my first diesel. A dang near new 1997 F250 Crew Cab…. I loved that truck. It had gone from 100% stock to 100% OMFG in the 10 years I had it. Along the way found a bunch of other like minded Ford owners, which progressed to diesel truck guys, which progressed to getting on a diesel drag truck team, which led me to the National Hot Rod Diesel Assoc, where I eventually became race director. Ultimately that truck was cursed with electrical problems and would just shut down where ever it wanted to, every sensor replaced ect ect and I traded it in on a 2006 Dodge Ram. I was REALLY sad to see it go. Then life got in the way and started though a divorce, too many hours at work and couldn’t keep doing the racing thing, but the truck was originally going to be BUILT for drag racing and truck pulling. Fast forward a couple years…. A buddy I met through some other diesel junkies started working for Carli Suspension. Then was posting pictures on his blog ect ect, he moved to Baja and spent almost every day in the dirt traveling all over the peninsula logging thousands of miles. That just sparked something inside me and right then and there I knew what I was going to do with my truck.

So some information on the truck….

2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500
    Cummins engine, “mostly” stock (injectors and headstuds)
    48RE Auntomatic transmission, stock for now except for Mag Hytec deep pan, it will be built this year or early next.
    Stock transfer case and drive lines

Front axle…
    Fully trussed AAM 9.25 with 3.73’s, dynatrack ball joints and ’08 steering upgrade, and Thuren TRE replacement, Thuren lower steering stabilizer, and Carli upper stabilizer, Red Head steering box, Next additions Carli diff cover with lower stabilizer mount (so stabilizers oppose each other), high angle mount for upper stabilizer, and plate in the C’s to keep things from bending. (hopefully ARB’s within the year)

Rear axle stock for now with factory limited slip and 3.73’s (hopefully ARB’s within the year)

Front suspension…

Thuren Alien long arms, Thuren shock towers, Thuren torsion bar and links, Carli limit straps, Thuren tuned Stage 6+ 2.5″ King remote resi shocks.

Rear suspension….

Thuren Long travel leafs, Thuren long travel shackles, Thuren tuned Stage 6+ 2.5″ King bypass shocks with piggybacks. Will be adding Carli rear shocks mounts, the factory ones are known to tear off.

Other stuff…

General Grabber 37″ tires (Now 37×12.5×17 Maxxis Trepadors)
    Power Wagon OEM wheels (VERY strong and cheap)

AirDog 100 fuel/water filtration system

PCI 2M Race Radio
    Uniden pro xl 520

Patton Fabrication 3 tab light bar (fits behind factory tow hooks)
    Lifetime LED 22.5″ Cree LED light
    CJC Offroad spare tire hold down (37″ will not fit between frame rails)
    Protech aluminum tool box (with spare axles, oil, water, and enough tools to disassemble your truck)

Will add pix as I dig them out of my lap top lol….

The truck pretty much rides like a truck on the street, though handling is amazing compared to what it was. Off road the truck just floats, it will cruise nicely in the dirt, but also get up to speed and handle it with no issues. I’ve hit 1-2′ bumps at 75+ mph and you don’t really notice them. And before anyone asks yes it will be getting a roll cage, as well as suspension seats ect. But it is being built go from point A to point B no matter what the terrain is between (to a certain extent).

Attached files

Gabe Engler
    Participant
    Premium Member

Very nice. Ive been wanting a big diesel for a while, but its just not practical for me. What kind of mileage do you get?

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Right now I average about 13.5mpg… But with stock gearing and 37’s I don’t expect much more… Though longer trips it does get better…. When I had 33’s the best I got was 24mpg on my trip the SLC….

Grant Mossmen
    Participant
    Basic Member

Man, this thing is such a beast! It’d sure be nice to blow along those crappy “death by 1000 bumps” roads in the quilomene

Gabe Engler
    Participant
    Premium Member

Posted By Grant Mossmen on 06 Sep 2013 10:21 AM
    Man, this thing is such a beast! It’d sure be nice to blow along those crappy “death by 1000 bumps” roads in the quilomene

yeah thats my thinking. LT diesel, yum….

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’d love to see some more photos – especially of the suspension components.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Gonna try and upload them now…. I got some up there, I will get some more posted. I have some better shots of the suspension, those are horrible. I lost a bunch when my phone died…

Attached files

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

Awesome. Excuse me as I wipe the drool from my face…

J.B. Bunting
    Participant
    Basic Member

Posted By Patrick Tingley on 05 Sep 2013 07:14 PM
    Right now I average about 13.5mpg… But with stock gearing and 37’s I don’t expect much more… Though longer trips it does get better…. When I had 33’s the best I got was 24mpg on my trip the SLC….

Say what?! Man Pat, time for some gears buddy!
    I average 18-19mpg and got 22mpg last summer out to Montana…
    4.10s on 37s is what I’m running, of course the 6spd and free-spin hubs help too.

I think I’m going to follow your lead on those centramtic balancers, I have had nothing but trouble with keeping any tires balanced, even before the lift, the 19.5s and several different sets of 37s…

When your ready for gears let me know… I know a guy, or two…

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Totally out of my league.

I feel old now……

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

I think I am going to stick with the 3.73’s, I talked with the guys at Firepunk and they said it won’t be an issue, some builders say no bueno with that combination. Also it allows for higher top end mph. BUT I do want to get some lockers…. YUP….

Dale I bought almost all of my suspension used from a tear down truck, and it happened to be a right place at the right time kinda thing, and my buddy gave me a better price because instead of shipping parts all over the place I just bought it all.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Finally got my LED light bar, and the harness for the LED headlights… Those will be getting installed this weekend.

Oh and I got 5 new Maxxis 37X12.5X17 Trepador radials…. Hopefully those will be here by the weekend too…..

photo IMAG3793_zps2ce655b5.jpg

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ll be stoked to see the photos during and after the install. Do you have images of your front end as it is now? I see the side angle but would love to see your current light bar and lights.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

This was my old light set up… Same light bar…

PattonFab 3 tab light bar with 3 Baja Designs Soltek La Paz Lights photo IMAG0279.jpg

Just the light bar when I was installing it (found out later it is way easier to remove the bumper first)
    Installing PattonFab 3 Tab light bar photo 1342925057158.jpg

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Upgraded steering components… Dodge oem ’08+ tie rod and drag link, Kore steering box brace, Red Head steering box, Carli upper stabilizer and mount, Thuren TRE…

photo 1175082_611615672193655_1111983095_n_zpse779158b.jpg
     photo 1157733_611615732193649_241973034_n_zps7a5419cf.jpg
     photo 556435_611615795526976_10874861_n_zpsd6dae721.jpg
     photo 1016988_612142652140957_702949540_n_zps2ea4f5c3.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.