Recovery yesterday

Home Forums General General Recovery yesterday

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Miner 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Aaron Kravik

Tried posting this twice and it doesn’t show up in the forum…third time’s a charm?

I thought I’d take a minute to talk about an interesting recovery that I assisted with yesterday.

A couple of guys had rolled their truck of a forest service road near Cle Elum a couple of days ago. They are both okay and are very lucky. The truck was recovered in a separate operation. However, they had a sled in the back of their truck which launched out when they rolled…and down the embankment it went. About 400 feet. You could barely see it from the road. Three trucks were used in the recovery. A Pinzgauer was used as the primary winching vehicle. We chocked his tires as best we could and used the two other trucks as ancillary anchors for most of the time. Well seeing as a winch line isn’t 400 feet long,we had to do some fancy rigging to accomplish the pull. The Pinz’s line was ran down the hill to a snatch block to redirect the line down towards the sled. After that, an impressive array of straps and extensions were used to make up the difference in distance. Trouble being, he didn’t have much line after the snatch block so each individual pull was fairly short. For the first little bit the brakes on the sled would hold it in place while we reset the rigging. Towards the end, though, it was just too steep. We ran a second snatch block down the embankment and ran my winch line through it. Pinz would pull until it ran out of room. We would then reset with mine at the next extension connection and I would pull. Then the process would repeat. After about 3-4 hours we finally got it to the crest of

the embankment and with a little manhandling, got it over.

This is the most elaborate recovery I’ve been a part of and it was a good experience. Seeing the amount of rigging it took to pull it off made me feel pretty damn unequipped…

Here’s some photos I got throughout the day:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/CSKOpH5Klt4hy9s9r4aWZks1IcB5ABilLco9eJAloto

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Recovery rigging classes would be of great benefit. Perhaps we and get Branden, Kevin and Mike from KC SAR to put one together?

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Aaron Kravik

Yeah I didn’t notice that until later

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Really appreciate your sharing this story.  The photos were excellent.

Benjamin Wall
    Participant
    Basic Member

Well Done!!!!

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Nicely done! What a long, long, long way down the hill! 400′ of line? Yikes!

Looks like someone else is stuck now, Stampede Pass, but that’s too far for me today.

Guy

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

Yeah both of them stuck. One tried to rescue the other and now both high centered. Sad day

Aaron Kravik

They were able to self recover

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

They were able to self recover

Excellent! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.