Shipping a Vehicle

Home Forums General General Shipping a Vehicle

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Casey Hanshew 2 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

anyone have experience shipping a vehicle and any recommendations? Company, things to look out for?

Sold my JK and looking for a nicely equipped XJ with the cash left over from the sale, going loan free!  Found a really nice one in California, and with my job I fly for free, so planning on checking it out Monday if it doesn’t sell before then, fingers crossed.  Just don’t have the time to drive it back up.

I checked out uship and quotes were around $850 from close to LA.

thanks in advance!

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Most of the time you end up dealing with brokers that make it sound like they are the actual shippers but in reality they’re just sitting their in their jammies trying to hook somebody in and then round up a transport truck.  You’re probably going to be in that range with all of the shippers, unless you want special handling, i.e. enclosed trailer, etc.  Shipped a ’65 Mustang from Colorado Springs to here in the Seattle area a few years ago, went well with no problems.  Don’t remember why I chose the people I did, but do remember it wasn’t a big difference between most of the companies.

Good luck

Gordon Pomp
    Participant
    Basic Member

Every vehicle I have ever shipped has come up with some issue. Maybe I just really know how to pick the bad transport companies but I usually just do it myself now. In a past life I would fly to a vehicle to purchase on behalf of someone and drive it back. Drove a fully restored 65 mustang from Virginia to Arizona once, it was amazing. My suggestion would be to fly a friend there and have them drive it back for you.

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

Often shippers have to return with no load. Try to find a company that is returning to the place you want to be and is returning empty but there is the chance that you may have issues. Is your vehicle worth taking a chance by you going cheap?
    Always go with a professional bonded company. Or not able to do that, go with the above suggestion and drive it back yourself. If you need to take time they might be willing to store it till you can get there with the time to do it. Ca to WA might go as quick as two days. Take a friend to spell you driving and make it in one day.

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

What were the issues you had?

I could drive it, I have Monday through Wednesday off.  The only thing is whether or not I want to risk it. I wouldn’t be buying the thing if I don’t think it could make the drive but you never know, it is a 1999.  Wouldn’t want to get stuck somewhere and have to leave it to head to work. I’m sure it would be fine, just a risk.

Anybody know someone at king of hammers that has room on a trailer coming home? I’m pretty sure it’s close to where this Jeep is. That would be lucky!

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I would ping Brian at Defenders Northwest. He had a lot of experience with this…

Dan

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

The Jeep didn’t end up working out, the guy lied about a bunch of things I found wrong in 30 minutes of checking it out, good thing I fly for free!

But I had the shipping all set up through auto shipping group from Washington.  Just another broker but seemed to get better deals through them than any other offers I had.

Found another Jeep in Orange County so may still use them

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

Somebody lying about a vehicle they are trying to sell, that’s a first 🙂  Flying for free may cut down some of the pain, but it’s still a whole lot of time and hassle.  Good luck on your search

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

Yah I wasn’t happy!

”that’s the first time I’ve seen that light on the dash”

yah sure! Hahaha that was just one of many things that happened for the first time in the test drive

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.