Shopping for a Winch, Making a List

Home Forums Skills & Gear Offroad Recovery Shopping for a Winch, Making a List

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Hopkins 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

A winch is on my short list of equipment I’d like to pick up in the next year, so I am starting the planning process.

In the past I had a Ranger with an 8K pound Mile Marker winch.  No complaints about it other than the free spool mechanism didn’t go back together correctly after I re-clocked the selector (likely my fault).  I also didn’t use it much more than 6 times, and never (successfully)  for self recovery.  Usually when I needed it, I had nosed down into something I couldn’t back out of, and the front bumper mount was useless.  I also experienced that I was usually able to drag the truck before I got whatever item I was pulling on to budge.

My plan this time around is to get a cradle for the winch so I can use it in the front and rear, and not have to carry it with me all the time as this is my daily driver.  My F-150 has a 5K curb weight, and 6.5K gross weight. That puts me between an 8K and a 10K winch for the typical 150% weight rule.

What are everyone’s opinions about going with an 8K winch, and a snatch block and maybe 50′ and 100′ extra lengths of line to  work with, vs. just getting the larger 10K winch? Also any reservations with going Mile Marker or Smittybilt over WARN?

I’ll be looking at synthetic line this time around too, mostly for weight and safety reasons.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Ben, I have a cradle carrier you can have if you want it.

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Phil,

That’s mighty kind of you!  Since I have no immediate plans to procure a winch, I’m not in a rush. I’ll let you know if it looks like we will be going to the same event, that way we can make it easy on both of us.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

I was going to recycle it so better it go where it can get used.

I will be at Mule in Issaquah tomorrow evening for their recovery basics class.

Aaron Kravik

I’m pretty impressed with mile marker. They’re smooth and quiet.

Jim Hopkins
    Participant
    Basic Member

Just got my new copy of 4wheeler magazine today.  (February 2018 issue) It had several articles on winches.  Good info for a new buyer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.