Shopping for a Winch, Making a List

Home Forums Skills & Gear Offroad Recovery Shopping for a Winch, Making a List

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Defenders NW 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

A winch is on my short list of equipment I’d like to pick up in the next year, so I am starting the planning process.

In the past I had a Ranger with an 8K pound Mile Marker winch.  No complaints about it other than the free spool mechanism didn’t go back together correctly after I re-clocked the selector (likely my fault).  I also didn’t use it much more than 6 times, and never (successfully)  for self recovery.  Usually when I needed it, I had nosed down into something I couldn’t back out of, and the front bumper mount was useless.  I also experienced that I was usually able to drag the truck before I got whatever item I was pulling on to budge.

My plan this time around is to get a cradle for the winch so I can use it in the front and rear, and not have to carry it with me all the time as this is my daily driver.  My F-150 has a 5K curb weight, and 6.5K gross weight. That puts me between an 8K and a 10K winch for the typical 150% weight rule.

What are everyone’s opinions about going with an 8K winch, and a snatch block and maybe 50′ and 100′ extra lengths of line to  work with, vs. just getting the larger 10K winch? Also any reservations with going Mile Marker or Smittybilt over WARN?

I’ll be looking at synthetic line this time around too, mostly for weight and safety reasons.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Ben, I have a cradle carrier you can have if you want it.

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Phil,

That’s mighty kind of you!  Since I have no immediate plans to procure a winch, I’m not in a rush. I’ll let you know if it looks like we will be going to the same event, that way we can make it easy on both of us.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

I was going to recycle it so better it go where it can get used.

I will be at Mule in Issaquah tomorrow evening for their recovery basics class.

Aaron Kravik

I’m pretty impressed with mile marker. They’re smooth and quiet.

Jim Hopkins
    Participant
    Basic Member

Just got my new copy of 4wheeler magazine today.  (February 2018 issue) It had several articles on winches.  Good info for a new buyer.

Nik Schulz
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ve read 1.5 x GVWR is a good rule of thumb for determining the size of your winch. That would be 9,750 lb for your truck. The 10k lb winch might be a good bet for your truck.

I bought a Come Up winch for my truck. I read it was the direct-to-consumer brand of the company that manufactures winches for Warn. I got one of their Seal models because it’s waterproof to thepoint where it will even operate under water.

Mark Lennox
    Participant
    Basic Member

I have a Smitty Built 8000#. has worked ok, but dont think I would recommend it. The free spool has never worked and when running line out it wants to jump out of gear. Cable in works fine. Snap ring grooves in fairlead roller shafts are cut so shallow the snap rings wont stay on.

We have wheeled with Phil a few times. Great guy!

Bryan Evans
    Participant
    Premium Member

I’ve read 1.5 x GVWR is a good rule of thumb for determining the size of your winch. That would be 9,750 lb for your truck. The 10k lb winch might be a good bet for your truck. I bought a Come Up winch for my truck. I read it was the direct-to-consumer brand of the company that manufactures winches for Warn. I got one of their Seal models because it’s waterproof to thepoint where it will even operate under water.

Have to agree with Nick.  Plus they have a lifetime warranty and in my opinion the best bang for the buck.  I have the Seal Gen 2 9.5RSI and is worth every penny.  It is rather large (think Warn Zeon) due to the external cone brake but is less expensive than the Warn.

Steven Claggett
    Participant
    Basic Member

Craig’s List has some good deals, I picked up a Warn Zeon 12-S for $800, with wireless remote.  It looked like it was mounted but never used.  Before finding the 12-S I was looking at new Smittybilt.

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Oh damn that’s a good deal  🙂

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

I have a 12K on my Rover, had the same size on the Pinzgauer. They both weigh in at about 4800 pounds more or less. I would not get a 9500 ’cause for a few bucks more I can have some real power on the front. Especially if the vehicle I have to rescue is some big ‘ol Ford or Chevy with a camper on it.
    Did not think of the remote as the thing that would go out in a desperate situation would not be the winch but the remote. It’s a trust thing with technology. Just my upbringing.

Steven Claggett
    Participant
    Basic Member

Remember the winches rated power is with a single layer of rope/wire, each layer drops capacity by 15%+/-.  By having a 12k winch you still have great pulling even with 4-5 layers on the drum.

Wireless remotes are nice but I would not leave my wired controller at home.  Batteries always die at the wrong time.

It’s nice to have 2 or 3 snatch blocks to increase pulling power.

Defenders NW
    Participant
    Vendor

FWIW – we are a Warn & Superwinch dealer (along with ARB, and a few others that we don’t promote heavily due to pricing issues)

If anyone wants a Superwinch please email directly and we can talk about options to get the first couple people outfitted as a DNW/TSODAL product ambassador for a deal price.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.