Snow camping in January

Home Forums General Activity Planning Snow camping in January

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Grospe 12 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Dan Roney
    Participant
    Basic Member

My son and I would like to try snow camping this month to see if we can survive the cold. We are flexible on location and date. I’d prefer to go somewhere along 410 or I-90.

I’m looking for some company so we can head further off the main road than I’m comfortable doing alone.

Also looking for suggestions on camping spots in the snow – I’m thinking Haller pass area.

I can go the 13th, 14th, 20th or 27th.

If no one wants to join us we’ll probably go to Buck Creek on the 14th.

Aaron Kravik

I’m up for the 13th/14th. Kristal will be out of town so I’ll need something to keep me out of trouble

Jon Davis
    Participant
    Basic Member

Ranger Creek again?

Christopher Aquino
    Participant
    Basic Member

Been wanting to go on a snow camping trip for awhile now. Available either the 20th or the 27th.

Dan Roney
    Participant
    Basic Member

The 14th actually works the best for me. Aaron, are you up for that? (to be clear, I’m talking about camping on Sunday night – Monday is MLK day).  It would work best for me to meet in Enumclaw around 1:30. That should give us time to find a camping spot before dark.

On my Thanksgiving weekend outing to Haller pass we scouted a road at Phil’s request and found a good camping spot with a view. I think it was at 47.063861, -121.640929. I’m not sure if we can get up that far now?<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Chris – depending on how the 14th goes I might be up for going again on the 27th, or early February.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Sure, sure, blame me 🙂

I think you’ll be able to get there and it had a GREAT view of the Sun Top fire lookout.

Wish I could join but my rig needs some attention and she is not afraid to tell me so.

Christopher Aquino
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey Dan,

Looks like I had a prior engagement on the 27th with the GF I forgot about. If the 20th is too soon, I’d be down for early Feb or even both! Let me know. Have fun this weekend. Wish I could make it!

– Chris

Tod Cole
    Area Coordinator

Last Sunday we drove the 75 road to the end at the 74 road. With the logging they are doing it was graded all the way. Looks like they will be logging the 75 road as much of the winter as possible. The 7530 up to Lonesome Lake was not grated but an easy drive. Guessing this won’t be true after the few feet of snow currently coming down. Came across the largest Cougars tracks I have seen and the were very fresh  – Never know when your being watched!

We camped at Ranger Creek where unfortunately some folks thought it was a rifle range. At 2125 Saturday and again at 0315 Sunday we had AK47 rapid fire take place with rounds coming through camp. Earlier in the day Rangers had given out over $1000 in tickets for guys shooting across the air strip. And if you are up there and see anyone driving on the air strip please consider taking a picture and email it to the Rangers.

All that to say if I can swing it I will come up to join y’all.

Dan Roney
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey Tod, thanks for the intel.  My plans for the 14th have fallen apart. We might go out for the day on the 14th or 15th but not overnight.

Chris – I can go the 20th. Let’s plan on that.

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey Tod, thanks for the intel. My plans for the 14th have fallen apart. We might go out for the day on the 14th or 15th but not overnight. Chris – I can go the 20th. Let’s plan on that.

Bummer Dan!

Depending on how well Saturday’s rig maintenance goes, I was planning on coming out to find you folks on Sunday. I may get out here anyway since there is so much new snow. I bet you can get stuck this time 🙂

It would be a normal time run so gas up at Safeway around 9:00am and head up from there.

Dan Roney
    Participant
    Basic Member

Phil – I really need to get out into the woods, but I’m having a hard time juggling everything. I am playing in the band at church on Sunday, but I could meet up around 1:00 in Enumclaw. I’d even be up for dinner in the woods if we thought we could get out safely in the dark.

I’m also off work on Monday and would be up for day trip Monday morning.

Christopher Aquino
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey Dan,

Yeah the 20th should still work for me too! Looking forward to it.

– Chris

Phil Fisk
    Participant
    Basic Member

Maintenance work was very successful, ready to get out fo the snow.

Dan Roney
    Participant
    Basic Member

Well, I hijacked my own thread to coordinate a day trip on Sunday. Thanks to Phil and Rick for letting me join the Ford outing. I met up with them mid-day, we looked around at Ranger Creek where it was about 60 degrees and then headed up 7160 to find some snow and enjoy the view.

I’m still planning to go out overnight on the 20th.

Christopher Aquino
    Participant
    Basic Member

Whoa what a great day trip. As for this Saturday, where were you all trying to get to as far as camp? I may have to leave the Seattle area closer to 3pm but can meet at the camp. Hoping to be able to leave earlier but wanted to let you all know. Can’t wait for some winter camping!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.