Stuck at Stampede Pass

Home Forums Emergency. Need Help… Stuck at Stampede Pass

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gordon Pomp 6 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

A friend and I decided to try to get up to stampede pass this afternoon. He got high centered about 1/2-1/4 mike from the top, so I decided to try to get up to the top to turn around (I was in front).

Well now we are both high centered and stuck. I’m about 100 feet from the pass. I’ve got my come along I’m trying to pull myself off the hump I’m on. If someone with a more capable rig and a winch is available it would help a lot.

cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Ham 147.540 simplex.

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

I just put the word out on our FB page and the PNW 4WD & Expedition page. Trying to rally some folks.

Dan

Aaron Kravik

I just texted you

Jeffrey Haws
    Participant
    Basic Member

Facebook says you have self recovered. Good job.

Aaron Kravik

Both vehicles are free and working their way back down.

Dan Cronin
    Participant
    Administrator

Awesome! Thanks for the update, Aaron. I appreciate you monitoring this and updating. Kudos!

Dan

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Facebook says you have self recovered. Good job.

Yes! Excellent! 🙂

Ben Thompson
    Participant
    Basic Member

Thanks for the support guys,

I was prepared for, but not liking the idea, of spending a night out there.  I was up there 2 weeks ago, and it wasn’t bad, we were hoping for one more run around before the snow got too thick.

My friend and I are in stock 1/2-ton 4×4 pickups, nothing fancy.  Getting up to NF-41 was okay, my friend chained up to make his truck a little less squirrelly, but I was able to make it fine.  At NF-41 I stopped to wait for him and had trouble getting going again on the slick, compact snow.  That was probably the sign that we should head back, but we didn’t. I chained up to get going again determined to get to Stampede pass before we made a call to turn around or keep going.  About a 1/3 mile past NF-41 he called on the radio to say he was stuck. Not wanting to back down to him (100-200 yards) and thinking we were closer to the pass I decided to keep going, and turn around at the top where it is flat and wider.  I got to within 300 feet of NF-332, which is essentially the pass, and got stuck.  I drifted a little to the driver side, got in a rut, and then when correcting the front jumped over to the passenger side.  A little fiddling to see how stuck I really was caused the passenger rear tire to dig a hole and rested the differential firmly in the snow.

Here is what the road was like:

I tried digging out, and using a come-along to drag the truck backwards so the rear tire would get a grip, but it wasn’t budging.  This was about the time I posted to the forum.  I was running out of ideas and wanted to get people mobilized or on standby if possible.  Thanks to everyone who shared the post and contacted me, it is truly appreciated knowing that there are people we can call for help when things aren’t going very well.

After taking a short break, I had an idea: I used my truck’s jack to lift the rear end.  I was able to make a base out of a traction mat thing I have, and lifted by the hitch receiver.  This got the truck high enough I could pack snow under the tire in the hole, and dig out some more clearance for the differential and axle.  I was then able to back out a few feet and repair the track enough I could drive over it again.  It was here that my friend reached me (by foot), and he helped guide me the 300 feet up to the pass, get turned around, and then back down to where the road was in better shape.

We then repeated the same steps for his truck, and backed him all the way down to NF-41 where he turned around, and then made an uneventful descent back to I-90.

The snow was up to my knees when I stepped off the road (about 2 feet), but snowmobiles had done a good job packing down the track we were driving up.  Unfortunately, this hide the depth of the snow from us, it looked like less than a foot up until the point we were stuck and committed.

All in all, it was a good excursion.  No-one got injured, no damage done, and we were both off the trail by sunset.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Am glad you guys got out okay. Good call on having tire chains with you!

Guy

Aaron Kravik

Glad you made it out okay

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

Who wants a winch for Christmas? I do. You probably do. Let’s find a group buy 😉

Gordon Pomp
    Participant
    Basic Member

I have been eyeballing the new warn zeon platinum 12000 winch, that would be a great Christmas!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.