The Not North Cascades Hwy and Tiffany Springs Trip

Home Forums Travel Trip Reports The Not North Cascades Hwy and Tiffany Springs Trip

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Eddie Staudinger 5 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Fantastic weekend despite climatic setbacks. Dan texted me Thursday to tell me that hwy 20 had been closed for at least the weekend. Not to be defeated, though, I changed the meetup location to Skykomish and we set forth the back way.

We refueled in Winthrop and headed into the hills. We found snow WAY lower than last year. Last year’s trip was mostly dirt with snow once we got to the top. This year the snow started where the slab ended.

The group arrived at Tiffany Springs CG in record time. Amazing how much faster things go with 3 vehicles instead of 10+. Since it was still pretty early in the afternoon, we made the decision to keep going for a while and find another camp down the road. By this time we were travelling on untouched snow. No tracks in sight…well not man-made ones anyway. It felt very remote.

We found a camp with plenty of daylight left to set up as well as cut up firewood to augment what we’d brought. It was about 19 degrees when we all went to bed so having a big fire was very nice.

We awoke the next morning to about 4″ of new snow. It was COLD. More fire was made and lots of coffee consumed.

We stopped for (more) coffee in Conconully when we ran into our big issue. John’s FZJ-80 had found its way into a no-crank no-start situation. After screwing around for a while, the decision was made to call for a truck. We sat for a few hours at the Sit’n’Bull, the local watering hole, enjoying libations and food. The flatbed showed up around 3 and they were on their way shortly after.

This was Eddie’s first trip with NWOL. He was giving us a test drive to see if this “overlanding” thing was something he wanted to put any amount of money into. Suffice it to say, I think he’s hooked.

We all had a great time and it was a really good group of people (if small). Look forward to seeing you all on the trail again!

Photos will be up soon.

John Russell
    Participant
    Premium Member

It’s not a real adventure until there’s a flatbed involved.  Hopefully a simple solution after what I’m sure was a not a cheap tow.

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Luckily he has AAA and only had to pay for the last 17 miles or something. Otherwise yeah it would have been insanely expensive.

That makes 2 years in a row killing a J80 land cruiser on this trip…

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Great trip! I might need to crash that one next year… 🙂

Guy

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

John Glover
    Participant
    Premium Member

The tow was actually quite cheap.  AAA premier includes a 200 mile tow, so my out of pocket was less than $100 from Conconully to Torfab in Everett.  I’m definitely going to keep that membership up.

Turns out the starter needed a really good beating.  I know how to handle it better next time.  I should upgrade my hammer to a 3# mallet so I’m ready!  I did seize upon the opportunity to upgrade my starter from the 1.4kw standard unit to the 2.0kw cold-weather unit.

Good recap Aaron.  I had a blast and so did Leslie…  I’ll try to post some pictures in the next day or so.

Craig Wainscott
    Participant
    Premium Member

Great photos. For everyone who loves winter, we are off to a good start.

Eddie Staudinger
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ll post pics tonight on this site. Had a great time, thanks again.

Eddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.