Touratech Rally 2018

Home Forums General Activity Planning Touratech Rally 2018

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Doug Williams 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

I know there are a few of us who ride motorcycles. Anyone else going to the Touratech Rally? It used to be in conjunction with the NW Overland Rally and now they are separate events. I’ve signed up to volunteer at the Touratech Rally: two, four-hour shifts equals free admission and the obligatory t-shirt. It is June 21-24, 2018 in Plain, WA.

Tod Cole?

I hope to see a few others there! https://www.touratechrally.com/

TJP

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

I went to the first NWOL riding my ’02 F650GS Dakar.  I think that there were 2-3 riders there.  I’ve watched as the the two wheel segment grew to incredible proportions!  It really saddened me to see the two groups (bikes vs 4 wheel overlanders) split last year.  I had fun splitting my time between the two camps and even brought over my DL650 hack and 4Runner the last time they were combined.  I volunteered for first aid support with my first aid kit tied to the back of the sidecar.

Now that it has spit, I can’t afford either the money or time to participate in both events. Age is slowing me down, a lot.  So I am focusing my support now on the 4WD type overlanding segment, with much regret.

Have a great time and best of luck in the future!  Hope to see you on one of the BDRs in the future.  BTW ran into Keven Woody at a microbrewry  in the Bothell area this weekend.  He also is a bike/4wd nut and was the support vehicle for the NVBDR video. If you’ve seen the DVD, he lost a wheel on his JK and had to bail. The BDRs are great fun on both 2 and 4 wheels, and if you are like me, on 3 wheels.

Dale

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi Dale and thanks for the comments. I have enjoyed most of the BDR premieres on the opening nights – previously at the Hinshaw’s motorcycle dealership and last year at a theater in Seattle. I did see the NVBDR so I know who you are talking about with the Jeep wheel.

Last year we did section 2 of the BDR with a Land Cruiser friend from iH8Mud. We both brought our families and had a great time.

This year I’d like to do the whole thing on my bike, maybe with a friend who is also new to dual sports or with others on this site or AdvRider.

See you out there!

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

Here are a few shots from our WA BDR section 2 trip in June 2017. Other images are on my site at http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2017-blog/wa-bdr-section-2-overlanding-trip

Cute wife driving!

Tod Cole
    Area Coordinator

I am with Dale in that having the two groups together was the best of both worlds. Not sure yet how my time will be allotted in June so could go to one or both.

The WABDR on the Triumph is of interest though so we may need to find the dates for this summer and see how many on here are ready to saddle up?

Tod

Dale Avery
    Participant
    Basic Member

Great Pictures!!! I honestly love to see it when the whole family participates in our adventures.  Looks like yours gets it.  Have fun and see you on the trail.

Dale

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

On a related note, the MABDR – Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route – movie is being released. I’m planning to go to the Seattle showing the 15th of February.

http://ridebdr.com/News/MABDR-Movie-Premieres-U-S-Tour-Dates-and-Locations

Doug Williams
    Participant
    Basic Member

I might be back this year.
    Last year I went on my dads BMW F800GS (which I just bought from him). The year before I hauled my DR650 on the back of my 4Runner. Spent some time on 4 wheels and 2. I was camped at the NW Overland Rally side that year, and the Touratech guys always seemed confused if I should be allowed in when I walked over.
    Not sure how much I will have time for this year, so I was considering putting my money in the BC Overland Rally and riding up there. Unless the family wants to go, them I guess I will take the 4Runner.

EDIT: I see there might be an interest in doing the WABDR on two wheels here. If so, look me up, I should have enough time off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.