Trailer Build

Home Forums Vehicles Projects Trailer Build

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Casey Hanshew 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

Finally “finished” the trailer so I will do  a small write up.  Finished in time to do a couple trips at the end of summer before I got a new job and have been in training for a few months.  Overall I am very happy with how it turned out, and compared to other trailers I see for sale I saved a ton of money!  Wheels and tires match the Jeep so no need for a spare.  Axle with is within about a 1/2 inch of a JK axle so the trailer tracks nice.  Tested it out on the first trip without much weight in it and decided to add a bar from the tongue to the top of the trailer to act as a gusset.  Also swapped the springs out.  The set I originally got was a little too soft, and one happened to be flattened out a bit, which I didn’t notice till they were all mounted up.  This ended up causing the tires to rub the fenders pretty bad on the first trip.  Since it was flattened out, the place just let me trade them for a stiffer set which are rated for about 1020 lbs a piece, which works out since a JK towing capacity is about 2000 lbs.  Now the trailer rides really good and doesn’t rub at all when loaded full.  I do not have any pictures with the bar or the new springs.  Have not weighed it empty or full yet, but can easily move it by hand even when loaded.  The rack is bolted on so it can be easily removed. The trailer is just in gray primer right now, planning on paint matching the squares to the Jeep and everything else will be black.  Ball hitch can be removed, and swapped for a three axis hitch which I don’t have yet.  Also can take the hitch off when at camp and don’t have to worry about someone hooking up and driving off with it when we are out and about! Stabilizers out back work real well and tuck up inside the frame so won’t get caught up on anything.

First/Test Trip

Testing the tent out in the backyard

A happy camper with trailer in tow!

T.J. Purdy
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’ll be interested in seeing your fabrication skills on this project! Subscribed!

Aaron Kravik

Photo bucket can go pound sand

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

agreed, the new photos seem to be working on my computer at least!

Aaron Kravik

You can still access them and store them in photo bucket you just can’t externally link to them

Casey Hanshew
    Participant
    Basic Member

Okay, edited the first post, and ditched photobucket, hopefully it all works this time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.