Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

Home Forums General Activity Planning Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

This topic contains 35 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Logan Lexow 12 hours, 15 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Timothy Bogue
    Participant
    Basic Member

What insights do you guys have on the Backcountry Discovery Route?

I’m thinking of taking my wife and daughter on part of it the week of July 4th as our first little foray into backcountry offroading.  I was thinking of the section from Hwy 12 to Ellensburg, but most of the info I’m finding so far is for adventure bikes, not four wheeled vehicles.  I figured I’d ask those of you with far more knowledge than I for some advice and insights. And if anyone is interested in joining the trip, the more the merrier.

Thanks!

Benny Benson
    Area Coordinator

The Hwy 12 to Ellensburg route is a great offroad trip. Very doable in a Jeep or any high clearance vehicle.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

I’ve done the WABDR three times, once in chunks as a scouting trip, then twice in 2015, and have done most of the northern sections more often.

A great guy, Mark Doiron, was on one of the 2015 trips, and made one heck of a video outof it. They’re in segments, and the whole thing takes over an hour. Sit down, enjoy and learn.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmvMm6glhVTiB1Rdvx80ptb

The section from 12 to Ellensburg is magnificent with wonderful scenery and is mildly challenging. I’ve done parts of the WABDR on a motorcycle, and would say that for mere mortals, the 4×4 utility vehicle is much easier… The bike was faster, I’ll admit.

Get the Butler motorcycle map, and download the GPS track for free. Figure on this part as a start to doing the entire route! Enjoy!

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Regards, Guy

Mark Mischke
    Participant
    Basic Member

I may be up for that!! Get in touch…

Timothy Bogue
    Participant
    Basic Member

Guy,  those videos just solidified it for me!  I watched the first 2, but will certainly be watching the rest of the trip.  My wife suggested that we finish off in Wenatchee.

I’m going to talk to some people and see if we can get a trip planned.  Mark, if you’re down, let’s start planning.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

It’s a very enjoyable route. Lots of great scenery. If there’s no snow, it’s not particularly difficult. I think my son ran most of it in 2wd in his Cherokee. I used four wheel drive time to time just to get the low-range gearing for some of the steep climbs.

Watch the fire conditions – though you should be good in early July.

I’d make sure someone has a good chainsaw and knows how to use it. Fallen trees across the route are pretty common:

Regards, Guy

Art Armstrong
    Participant
    Basic Member

Im doing a big group camping trip to Lake Chelan at the end of June and hoping to explore parts of the it while im there. Definitely planning to bring my chainsaw in case.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

The Hwy 12 to Ellensburg route is a great offroad trip. Very doable in a Jeep or any high clearance vehicle.

Probably even in a Power Wagon…. 🙂

Art – there are some great places to hike and drive up above Lake Chelan on North and South sides of the lake. Enjoy!

Guy

Ed Amdahl
    Participant
    Premium Member

We did the same section on the same weekend last year with some great folks from this forum and had a blast.  I’d love to do it again.  Overall the main route was not too bad, we did some side sections the last day with Jon Davis where stock was probably not going to work.

Mark Mischke
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hi Tim, I just saw this…pm me and I’ll get you my number.

Mark

Cedar McKay
    Participant
    Premium Member

Gah! Disappearing post again! I think the duplication algorithm must be too zealous, because I’d posted a link to the same photo album in another thread. Very annoying.

Ariana Burrows
    Participant
    Basic Member

I’m interested in going along as well! What’s the protocol for being involved in planning? I’m super new to this organization.

Mark Mischke
    Participant
    Basic Member

Ariana,

Hi, I spoke with the OP (Original Poster) this afternoon about planning a meeting to start planning…You’re absolutely welcome to join in on it and help plan! He has some firm dates that he is going to be off work and I am checking to see if I can get the same days off…Please contact him for further info, and I’ll let you know when we plan on planning. Feel free to contact me also.

Mark

Joey Rideout
    Participant
    Basic Member

Hey there,

When it comes to maps/mapping for WBDR what are some good options and resources. Other than Backcountry Discovery Routes page.

Thanks

Joey Rideout

Benny Benson
    Area Coordinator

I downloaded the free GPS track from http://ridebdr.com/WABDR and imported it to my Ipad GPS app. I created my own paper map by just highlighting the route in my Gazetter atlas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.