Winch for off-roading

Home Forums Skills & Gear Offroad Recovery Winch for off-roading

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Otis Ranhofer 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tony Lane
    Participant
    Basic Member

I am currently looking for a winch for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Has anybody heard of Warn Winch? They are currently on sale and I am really tempted to place an order.

Benjamin Wall
    Participant
    Basic Member

Depends on your budget:

• Mile Marker
    • Smittybilt
    • Warn
    • Comeup

You definitely pay for what you get.  Don’t go cheap as it might be the only thing keeping you on the trail/alive if/when S.H.T.F.  Also, I have experienced a wireless controller start winching without the operator pressing any buttons.  This can be quite alarming especially in close quarters.  I prefer a wireless that can be directly plugged into controller.

Aaron Kravik
    Participant
    Premium Member

Warn is one of the biggest names in winches. They cost more but like Benjamin said, you get what you pay for. Mile Marker, Super Winch, and Warn would be at the top of my list.

Benny Benson
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

Warn is most definitely the most popular brand and you can hardly do wrong by getting a Warn. Warn is also some what of a local company for us so if that makes a difference to you. The competition in the winch market is pretty good and most other brands are very close in quality and performance but as the guys said you get what you pay for.

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

“Has anybody heard of Warn Winch”

Oh my goodness YES! They’ve been around forever, and are likely still the industry leader. I don’t have a Warn on my current 4×4, but I have before, and they are typically Very good winches.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner
    Participant
    Area Coordinator

And for a Jeep Wrangler, I’d recommend a minimum of the M8, a good 8,000 pound winch. Had one in the past, and it worked out great. My son is using one now on his Jeep.

Guy

Patrick Tingley
    Participant
    Basic Member

Everyone always forgets Ramsey… Warn is the most popular brand for sure, some of the units are not made here in the states and the quality shows. Mine showed up with a busted solenoid, in the box, and it sounds like it has gravel inside of it, and the drum is loose. That all being said Warn did say they would look at it for me. If I still like it after that I’ll keep it, if not I am going to get a ComeUp.

Otis Ranhofer
    Participant
    Premium Member

We have a Come-Up 6,000 lb – with pulley effectively a 12,000 lb.
    Ours can be mounted to our 2 inch receiver in the front or 2 inch receiver in back of ‘Otis’. An advantage when you need to winch from the rear. Ours stores inside in the tailgate. While most have a larger winch permanently mounted we wanted something easier to lift and stab into our receivers. Combined with a simple pulley we effectively have a 12,000 lb winch that both of us can lift.
    http://shop.comeupusa.com/p/dv-6s-carry-on-12v

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.