Winter Hammock systems

Home Forums General General Winter Hammock systems

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Britzen Roen 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Britzen Roen
    Participant
    Basic Member

I saw a few hammock setups/comments doing a quick search, I’m new to the hanging game, but am slowly dialing in a system.

This Winter has turned dismal and we’re down to just a few feet of snow.  Snowcaving, my winter go-to, has slim options at best. I’m so glad I picked up a hammock to try out as a 4 season backup/alternate sleep system in the backcountry. I’ve been out at least once a week now since Thanksgiving, save for last week’s snowcaving, had to take advantage of what snow is left.

Not knowing how much I’d like sleeping in a hammock, I went with a Bear Butt off Amazon, used a SilNylon tarp I made for the Pacific Crest hike years ago, cheapie foam camp pad, and hacked apart a 32F old down sleeping bag into an underquilt. I followed advice from Shuge on Youtube. Shuge tests his equipment a lot up in Northern MN, my hood, so I’m working towards a sub-zero system.

The coldest I’ve gone is 0F, so far, and added a sheet of Reflectix on top of the foam camp pad, and switched to a -20bag as a topquilt, which was OVERKILL for 0f, but that’s the bag I bring back to MN in winter time.

Tomorrow I’ll set up using my new, non hole-filled tarp, and play with adding a static ridge line, though so far, have slept soundly every night. I’m hoping it will reduce set-up time.

For the most part, the hammock gear translates to useful items for a snowcave, a win-win, and can easily be packed on a pulk or kept in the rigs for overland adventures.

Most of the gear gets used in a snowcave, bonus.

Morris Yarnell
    Participant
    Basic Member

I saw the youtube thing as well. don’t sleep in a hammock when it’s cold but there were good tips for even ground camping. the mylar and the pad are excellent ideas since you are effectively crushing the bottom and a down bag goes to ‘0’ loft fast under you.

I did lots of winter stuff when younger, Mt. Whitney and such but those days are long past.

Happy trails

Britzen Roen
    Participant
    Basic Member

It’s been 13 yrs since the last time I set foot on Whitney. I spent more time on Shasta, living in snowcaves for a week or so to b/c snowboard. I wish I knew of Reflectix back then, though usually two closed cell pads would suffice. The Reflectix lasts much longer than those old mylar E-blankets, and less noisy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.